AdCom Correspondence

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by blueboy44, Oct 28, 2002.

1. blueboy44

blueboy44 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm a brand new poster!!

For those of you who have already gone through this application process, what medical schools have been pleased with phone calls/letters showing interest for the school and what schools absolutely despise it?

From my own experience, I seem to be getting different vibes depending on the school. I think I should stop experimenting now and look to the veterans...

blueboy44

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SunnyS81

SunnyS81 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    My personal feeling is that correspondance should be kept to the minimum, but if you feel you have something worthwhile to add to your file, definitely send it to them.

Things to keep in mind:

1) Admissions offices get TONS of mail and email. If you unneccessarily call or write, you WILL get on people's nerves (even if you don't get the vibe).
    2) Most correspondence should be sent in the spring when you are on waitlists. Of course if you won a Nobel prize since applying or anything big like that, do send it in before.

Just my $.02.

4. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

echoing the 'keep to a minimum' message.

HOWEVER, sending information soon after the interview is NOT a bad thing. An MSII that applied from my undergrad sent a letter to all the schools he liked post-interview (within a week) stating why he thought (1) the school was good for him AND
    (2) he was good for the school. Result? accepted everywhere he wanted. He ended up at Harvard.

My personal experience: Waitlisted at my top-choice.
    Sent 1 update letter by mail [march], a shorter one by e-mail [april], had a phone conversation with asst. director of admissions [may] and was accepted [june] :D

5. vivekap2007

vivekap2007 cowtown indo hornet
    7+ Year Member

I was told that correspondence AFTER you get put on the waitlist can help you move up the list 'cause the committee wants to accept people who will accept the offer.