Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

adcom views on retaken courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by AnesthesiaMD, May 8, 2007.

1. AnesthesiaMD

Pre-Medical
    How bad does it look if an applicant (I) retake say 3 science courses? I've already retaken gen chem 1 which i failed my first semester and got an A the next time around. I was thinking of retaking physics I and orgo I. I know I could get As in both courses I just didn't devote any time to them the first time around. Btw, the failed gen chem I course and physics I course were both taken in my sophomore year before I even decided I wanted to go to medical school.

Thanks in advance.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BeatrixKiddo

BeatrixKiddo Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Signs point to no...

4. AnesthesiaMD

Pre-Medical
    do you care to expand on that a bit?

5. BeatrixKiddo

BeatrixKiddo Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    They'll always know that you failed/ performed badly on your first try and they really aren't that forgiving.

6. AnesthesiaMD

Pre-Medical
    any other thoughts?

7. emaj1n

emaj1n M1

Medical Student
    I'm confused. Did you fail physics and organic I? If so, you have no choice but to retake the courses. The fail grades will show up on your transcript, and you can't get around that. But schools should look at the retakes in light of your decision to enter medicine and subsequent earning of As. Keep this in mind, too: a trend showing a gradual increase in overall GPA is favorable to the same overall GPA with a level or declining trend.

My advice: contact your favorite schools and talk to them over the phone. They will tell you how to be the most competitive within their pool.

8. AnesthesiaMD

Pre-Medical
    No, the only course I actually failed was gen. chem I (got a 4.0 in it the following semester), I got a 2.5 in Orgo. I, a 2.0 in Physics I so I was debating retaking at least the Physics course my last year of college (next year).

9. jeshani

Pre-Medical
    i made a F for gen chem 1 and political science (if that makes u feel better)
    i'd say to retake those, and maybe take some more challenging science courses to prove that u can handle it etc etc.

10. Meatwad

Meatwad Reformed

Post Doc
    Since the 2.0 and 2.5 aren't your only bad grades (you had that F in Chem), you probably should retake them; it's not like you have 110 credits of 4.0's and only two lousy grades. Obviously you are a different student now (0.0 --> 4.0 is quite an improvement in Chemistry), no reason you couldn't repeat that trend for Orgo and Physics.

11. prionsRbad

prionsRbad Mooooo

Resident [Any Field]
    I wouldn't retake them. Just do well in your upper division chem and bio classes. You should be fine! :D

12. IceMan0824

IceMan0824 Holy crip, he's a crapple

Non-Student
    I would retake any prereqs that is lower than a C, but that's just me.
    I would do it not just for the grade increase (which isn't much), but to show that I can understand and regurgitate the material.