Adcoms: How annoying is it to get more LORs than you asked for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahed

Tilapia
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
A certain school requests no more than 3 letters. I submitted 3 letters a long time ago, but one of them is probably mediocre, while I just got another letter that I believe is very strong. I want to add this 4th strong letter to my app, but the school's website states in no uncertain terms that they just want 3 letters. Am I gonna hurt myself if I submit a 4th (along the lines of not following instructions)?

I have not submitted the secondary yet, but will do it as soon as I decide for sure how many letters to submit.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, this is a bad idea. If they’re explicit about this you can only hurt yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
what do you think is going to happen if you violate directions they’ve laid out in “no uncertain terms”

Yes, this is a bad idea. If they’re explicit about this you can only hurt yourself.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A certain school requests no more than 3 letters. I submitted 3 letters a long time ago, but one of them is probably mediocre, while I just got another letter that I believe is very strong. I want to add this 4th strong letter to my app, but the school's website states in no uncertain terms that they just want 3 letters. Am I gonna hurt myself if I submit a 4th (along the lines of not following instructions)?

I have not submitted the secondary yet, but will do it as soon as I decide for sure how many letters to submit.

I don't know why people are so afraid of admission committee members. Why not just ask them in an E-mail if they would prefer a fourth letter if it was much stronger than one of the original three you wrote.

It's literally an ADCOMs job to answer students questions regarding medical school admission questions...

I don't know why people are so afraid of admission committee members. Why not just ask them in an E-mail if they would prefer a fourth letter if it was much stronger than one of the original three you wrote.

It's literally an ADCOMs job to answer students questions regarding medical school admission questions...

I don't want to come off as neurotic. I think if I emailed them, I'd worry that this question would come off as a little entitled. "I know you said just 3, but can you make a special consideration just for me?".

I run that risk here too, but at least I get some anonymity in this setting and that potential perception of entitlement won't be tied to my application.

No, it's our job to choose the best candidates who apply to our respective schools.

So when students E-mail the admissions staff pertaining to a reasonable question about admittance, its not their job in part to reply accordingly?

I don't want to come off as neurotic. I think if I emailed them, I'd worry that this question would come off as a little entitled. "I know you said just 3, but can you make a special consideration just for me?".

I run that risk here too, but at least I get some anonymity in this setting and that potential perception of entitlement won't be tied to my application.

It's your choice. ADCOMs here may be against.

Personally, I'd ask in a nice, reasonable way.

"Hello, I had a quick question regarding LORs. I have already sent 3, but I feel an additional 4th letter of recommendation is stronger than previous letters and was wondering if you [ADCOM member] thought it would be fine to submit that letter as well. Thank you for your time".

What was your CARS score???

What part of the bold don't you understand???

You will make the screener's job a lot easier, if you send in that LOR.

OP can certainly ask, but I have a feeling I know what the answer will be. And Robin, the most likely person to answer the OP's question at the school will be staff, not an Adcom member.

What was your CARS score???

What part of the bold don't you understand???

You will make the screener's job a lot easier, if you send in that LOR.

OP can certainly ask, but I have a feeling I know what the answer will be. And Robin, the most likely person to answer the OP's question at the school will be staff, not an Adcom member.

Somehow CARS was my best subsection. :shrug:

Thank you for that reality check though. I figured that it’s better to follow the rules in this process, but my hope for this letter inspired some wishful thinking.

Based on the collective reaction to my question, I don't think I'll be contacting the school regarding the letter haha.

This reminds me of USC-Keck saying "please don't send more than 3 letters" on their website.

And Robin, the most likely person to answer the OP's question at the school will be staff, not an Adcom member.

Very true, and I would definitely think sending the E-mail to them would be more ideal. However, if for some reason OP E-mailed an ADCOM instead, then I would hope it would be a fair question.

So when students E-mail the admissions staff pertaining to a reasonable question about admittance, its not their job in part to reply accordingly?

The staff, yes. The members of the admissions committee, who may be busy physicians without in depth knowledge of all admissions-related issues, and may not even be easily identifiable as serving on the admissions committee, not so much.

I think if I emailed them, I'd worry that this question would come off as a little entitled. "I know you said just 3, but can you make a special consideration just for me?".
You have demonstrated excellent insight into admissions staff thinking. You just left out their :eyeroll: