AdComs, if LOI's don't add any value to your app even after a WL, how are applicants pulled off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Is it just in random order, regardless of any LOIntent or other materials you send them? Are we really not able to influence admissions post-interview whatsoever?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it just in random order, regardless of any LOIntent or other materials you send them? Are we really not able to influence admissions post-interview whatsoever?
Applicants are scored post-interview and placed into tiers. The highest tier obviously gets accepted outright, and we move our way down the tiers until every spot is filled. Who gets pulled off the waitlist within a tier may be based purely on their score, or on who's needed to balance out a class depending on the school's priorities. A letter of intent may be helpful if a school is receptive to them and after waitlist movement has started; however, the impact of a LOI is school-dependent. The LOI would at least signal that you are still up for grabs late in the game. The closer to the school's orientation date, the more likely the admission dean would choose someone who's more likely to matriculate over an unknown with similar scores who may have already made plans to attend another school. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 6 users
Applicants are scored post-interview and placed into tiers. The highest tier obviously gets accepted outright, and we move our way down the tiers until every spot is filled. Who gets pulled off the waitlist within a tier may be based purely on their score, or on who's needed to balance out a class depending on the school's priorities. A letter of intent may be helpful if a school is receptive to them and after waitlist movement has started; however, the impact of a LOI is school-dependent. The LOI would at least signal that you are still up for grabs late in the game. The closer to the school's orientation date, the more likely the admission dean would choose someone who's more likely to matriculate over an unknown with similar scores who may have already made plans to attend another school. Just my thoughts.
In regards to LOI post-decision, would it be pertinent to send in the period between the non-rolling decision drop and the first WL pull wave? What are the core tenets of sending a strong LOI that doesn't sound desperate for an A?

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to LOI post-decision, would it be pertinent to send in the period between the non-rolling decision drop and the first WL pull wave? What are the core tenets of sending a strong LOI that doesn't sound desperate for an A?
Hopes and dreams and wishes all exist in the ether. A believable LOI contains something concrete. This is why good LOIs are rare, and cannot be conjured up out of thin air without committing some degree of fraud.

A good example is a LOI that states "My spouse has a good job offer in your city, and if you accept me we will come there and start to build a life."

That's compelling. All the other stuff about being a great fit for our curriculum, or mission, or whatever, are just words that anyone can write.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
It's definitely not random.

Proximity of the applicant tot he school often plays a big role at my school and may others.

My Dean likes to go by stats as well.

It's definitely not random.

Proximity of the applicant tot he school often plays a big role at my school and may others.

My Dean likes to go by stats as well.
So if an applicant lives in city X and their top choice is in city Y 125 miles/2 hours away, would that be a strong point in the LOI?

Schools also try close to their diversity goals and use WL to achieve that.

Hopes and dreams and wishes all exist in the ether. A believable LOI contains something concrete. This is why good LOIs are rare, and cannot be conjured up out of thin air without committing some degree of fraud.

A good example is a LOI that states "My spouse has a good job offer in your city, and if you accept me we will come there and start to build a life."

That's compelling. All the other stuff about being a great fit for our curriculum, or mission, or whatever, are just words that anyone can write.
So you can't say you love Dungeness crab over blue crab or BBQ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

To play devil's advocate, what would theoretically stop a candidate from lying about that?