Adcoms/Interviewers: Do you interview many students who you immediately think should get an R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heels20

Reaction score
This question is specifically for SDN adcoms and/or interviewers: I'm a little curious to hear from you about the types of applicants you interview. Are most of them pretty ok and just a handful are unlikeable people? Do you generally have a good chunk of applicants who you would not want at your school? Obviously if an applicant made it to the interview, their stats are fine, so what makes you choose those 100-200 students for acceptance? I just finished up an interview on Friday, so I've just been wondering about this decision process as I wait for results. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

This question is specifically for SDN adcoms and/or interviewers: I'm a little curious to hear from you about the types of applicants you interview. Are most of them pretty ok and just a handful are unlikeable people? Do you generally have a good chunk of applicants who you would not want at your school? Obviously if an applicant made it to the interview, their stats are fine, so what makes you choose those 100-200 students for acceptance? I just finished up an interview on Friday, so I've just been wondering about this decision process as I wait for results. Thanks in advance!
Many? Of course not.

It takes talent to get outright rejected. I'd say it's one person/month in a ~8-9 month cycle at my school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There's a LizzyM staircase analogy, where not every interviewee start off at the same level. Some are higher on the staircase than others. Your attitude and your interview performance will make you move up or down this staircase, and I believe being high enough on the staircase will warrant an acceptance.

Here's a good thread about interviews: Interviews: the View From Behind the Curtain

Reactions: 1 users
Adcoms/Interviewers: Do you interview many students who you immediately think should get an R?

This question is specifically for SDN adcoms and/or interviewers:
No.

If you looked professional, seemed articulate and personable, kept your responses succinct, and actually responded to the questions asked without going into excruciating detail on peripheral information, you have less to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users