Adcoms view of multiple MCATS for 2013 application cycle

cgk

10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone have any new information for the 2013 application cycle how most medical school's Adcoms are dealing with multiple MCAT retake scores? Are they averaging the scores or just taking the highest score into consideration with your application?

luckyducky87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2009
Status
Medical Student
It would depend on the school (some schools post this info publicly on their admissions site), though I really wondered if adcoms review MCAT scores systematically unless they screen applicants through a rigid algorithm -- as in, since they see both (or more) scores at the same time, I wonder how much they just look at "oh this kid had a 26 the first time but a 32 the second time, that's awesome improvement and 32 is good" or "26+32=58... 58/2=29... 29 is still not up to par"

Nov 17, 2011
Schrodinger's Box
Status
Pre-Medical
Does anyone have any new information for the 2013 application cycle how most medical school's Adcoms are dealing with multiple MCAT retake scores? Are they averaging the scores or just taking the highest score into consideration with your application?
Do not really know, I started trying to figure it out, then got frustrated. My suggestion, if you are iffy on how much you want to apply to a school, use your average MCAT to decide if you should. If you really wanna go somewhere and they do not post how they handle multiple MCATs, then use your highest score to help you gauge if you should. At the end of the day though, do not be afraid to reach on a couple of schools while applying early and broad.

Also, I guess you and me are in the same boat and have taken it multiple times, but if you have yet to take yours, STUDY HARD THE FIRST TIME. It's a sucky test to take twice.

ohioguy

5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I had to take it twice. The first time was a sub 30 and the retake was much better.

I made it past the number screen of 2 "top 15" schools that are known to hand out interviews largely on numbers. So I'm guessing many schools consider the latest score as most important.

weezynation

5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Unless schools are changing it for this year, I'm pretty sure most schools take the most recent score or the highest score. Of course each school has their own policy, but I do not believe there are an overwhelming number of schools that average all your scores.