Add your suggestions for the Re-App FAQ!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the nearly 2 years since I wrote it, the Re-App FAQ has had almost 14,000 views. :eek: But I haven't been updating it, and I think it needs work. I could use your help in the following areas:

- What information would you like added?

- What resources have you found that helped?

- What parts of the FAQ are out of date?

And I would love to add your success stories. :thumbup: I'll leave this as an open thread for you to post your suggestions. I'll add whatever content is appropriate, and reference your contributions. If you want to confidentially add something, then just PM me. I'll de-identify it before posting.

Members don't see this ad.

218 pageviews and no responses?

C'mon folks! Send me your suggestions via PM (click on my screen name) or post them here. What improvements do you think can be made?

I think for school selection, you should definitely make note of the "School Selection Spreadsheet"...that thing was a godsend this past cycle for me and I'm sure many other people would say the same thing. Us applicants love knowing our odds of getting in somewhere.

The other posters talking about their increased MCAT scores made a much more substantial improvement than I did (25 to 31) but I think the overall attitude is to drastically change your study methods and approach to the exam. Everyone practices for it, but I sought out practice tests like a fiend when I studied for it the second time around. EK books worked best for me.

Interview skills: I wouldn't consider myself completely socially inept, but interviewing is tough for me because I'm overly self-critical. The stress is only magnified as a reapplicant, but the thing that I think helped me the most was talking to patients during my clinical activities (volunteering, working as CNA, etc.) and I even made a mock-interview video with my sister so I could better identify things that probably don't come across too well in an interview--facial expression is a big one. Don't over-rehearse because you can tell if you do: come up with general ideas for answers, but its okay if the wording of them changes each time you say it. Just make the major points...especially for questions like "Why do you want to be a doctor?", because if you worry too much about if you said what you wanted to say correctly then you're not going to appear genuine.

You don't mention gaining work experience (as in working in something other than research)...I think that was a huge asset to my application to do something clinical but not representative of the typical pre-med activities like research, getting a job doing tech work at a hospital, EMT. Something different. Working as a social worker/health educator provided me with a lot of the life skills and an understanding of the systems I will need to play along with as a doctor and I think adcoms saw the same thing. It will pay off big time as a doctor, and it even helped while volunteering and with my part-time jobs as well.

Having a year off also allows re-applicants to do things they were too busy to do during undergrad - I joined a community orchestra as well and just tried to relax amidst a very, very stressful second application cycle. Its important to mention these kinds of things as well.

I would hope that the rest is common sense to a lot of people, if not, that's why so many people refer to the Re-App FAQ!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to med school two application cycles ago and was really late in the applicant pool. I had no pre-med advising and was seriously procrastinating because I wanted the perfect application. Since then I've been working on a masters in biochemistry and doing some really great cancer research. My application is all set to go out right now, except that I'm not sure whether I should re-write my personal statement or not. Everyone that has read it has been quite impressed. A physician friend of mine commented that my opening read like a novel, which I assume is a good thing. The trouble is, I'm nervous that it may not look good to send the same statement to school I applied to previously. I could just try to update it a bit, but I also have an idea for a completely different essay. My grandmother survived stage 4 bladder cancer right as I was getting into cancer researcher. I could work that into a great essay too. I'm just not sure what to do. I'm willing to post my previous essay if anyone would like to see it before passing judgement.

I applied to med school two application cycles ago and was really late in the applicant pool. I had no pre-med advising and was seriously procrastinating because I wanted the perfect application. Since then I've been working on a masters in biochemistry and doing some really great cancer research. My application is all set to go out right now, except that I'm not sure whether I should re-write my personal statement or not. Everyone that has read it has been quite impressed. A physician friend of mine commented that my opening read like a novel, which I assume is a good thing. The trouble is, I'm nervous that it may not look good to send the same statement to school I applied to previously. I could just try to update it a bit, but I also have an idea for a completely different essay. My grandmother survived stage 4 bladder cancer right as I was getting into cancer researcher. I could work that into a great essay too. I'm just not sure what to do. I'm willing to post my previous essay if anyone would like to see it before passing judgement.

I too am curious if it is acceptable to use the same personal statement. It took me forever to write mine, not much has changed since last year, and I don't really want to change it. Does anyone know if this is ok??

I too am curious if it is acceptable to use the same personal statement. It took me forever to write mine, not much has changed since last year, and I don't really want to change it. Does anyone know if this is ok??
Yeah! u have to rewrite ur essay if u apply to the same schools again. Reapplications always go through reapplicant committee who compare new personnel statment with old one and see what has changed in the application and what we did and how we used the additional year.

I don't understand though. My personal statement was based on a personal childhood experience of mine and how I developed my taste for a career in medicine out of that. It was a well written statement and I received good feedback for it.

It may be another thing though to send in a seperate letter as to how you have improved your application in the year.

im a foreugn graduate cleared usmle step 1 and 2 (ck and csa) 1st attempt but my score are not that good (81 and 84)...i have va hospital research experience and almost one year of externship i office based cllinic ,green card and california letter..i have applied for residency this year but ...i havnt got any interview yet ........so im doubtful....

im planning to join a medical school..can any one help me with this ..,i mean guide me about medical school taking foregn graduates or any other oppurtunities for fmg,s.
thank you.

im a foreugn graduate cleared usmle step 1 and 2 (ck and csa) 1st attempt but my score are not that good (81 and 84)...i have va hospital research experience and almost one year of externship i office based cllinic ,green card and california letter..i have applied for residency this year but ...i havnt got any interview yet ........so im doubtful....

im planning to join a medical school..can any one help me with this ..,i mean guide me about medical school taking foregn graduates or any other oppurtunities for fmg,s.
thank you.

Firstly, you are posting this in the wrong section. Second, this question has nothing to do with this thread.

Lastly, I figured I'd answer the question since im taking the time to reply. If you plan on enrolling in a US med school you need approx. 2 years of undergrad course work. (gen bio, gen chem, ochem, and physics all with lab and 2 semesters worth... you may also need calculus, biochem and a few other classes depending on the med schools you apply to... ohh and not to forget one year of english)

Thanks for answering my question ..sorry for posting it in wrong thread...

One question more ....i m already a medical graduate (from india ) and cleared usmle steps in first attemp ......do i still have to do all that stuff to enrolll in medical school in us.......or is there any other option or program for fmg,s

So, many threads talk about "PS readers" who can help applicants with their personal statement.

Are they a group in SDN? do I need to pm them? how does this work?
Can this be added to FAQ

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd like to suggest a mod ran permanent before and after thread where reapps can explain their failures, successes, stats, changes they've made to their app, and their insights into what it is that they have to do or have done to succeed as a re-applicant. I tried to start something similar in this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=939248

The change I'd suggest making to this is to have people submit their stories to a mod, so they can remain anonymous if they'd like, and the mod can post them onto a locked thread that stays at the top of the forum.

I think this will be a good source of advice and inspiration for other re-applicants whom find themselves in the same situation.

cj8