Addendum or personal essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ailleurs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten advice from someone who used to be a dean of admissions at a law school (don't lol just yet lol) and mentioned that I should not use valuable space in my personal essay to explain the specific circumstances surrounding some of my bad grades in my transcript. she said to write an addendum instead. is this good advice, as she is a dean for a law school (and not medical school)? or should i just use the personal essay to explain everything including why i want to become a doctor?

in addition, she also mentioned that if i noticed typos in my personal essay or somewhere in my application, to call the school and politely ask if i can substitute a page on my application. is this even possible? she says it is possible and that some of the students she has guided was able to do this--but for their law school application.

just a note: rest be assured, i am not applying for this cycle. i am planning far ahead if that will help me at all :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't draw attention to negatives in your med school Primary Statement. Many Secondaries give you an opportunity to explain a blip in the academic road. The PS is for selling yourself and for relaying the experiences that gave you motivation to be a doctor, not for pointing a finger at your defects.

I have never read in these forums that anyone was allowed to correct typos on their application. Proofreading is therefore a good skill to attain.