Addicted To Sdn?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keberson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I have serious addiction problem. When I stay away from SDN too long I start to get headaches and feel nauseated...I even get tremors throughout my whole body. All are alleviated when I log in and make a post.

Does anybody else have these symptoms. Its taking control of my life and it MUST STOP NOW!!

i'm losing control!!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I have serious addiction problem. When I stay away from SDN too long I start to get headaches and feel nauseated...I even get tremors throughout my whole body.
really? that's how i feel when i'm ON sdn. you know, all those threads like "official already-been-verified-by-AMCAS and granted super-secret interviews thread" and sh.t like that. just that whole vibe of "oh, if you didn't already know, this is a race, and we're winning :cool: " really pisses me off.

or maybe i'm just bitter because there's a hold on my transcript (for an "incomplete" that i didn't deserve! :mad: ) and i can't fill out my final AMCAS grades.

If you guys are in the process of applying, my advice to you is, stay away from SDN! This forum has ways of dimishing one's confidence and this is a trait you will need throughout this ordeal and especialy interviews. Sure, there's a wealth of information being exchanged but everyone is different and their experiences with the med. applications will be unique. I didn't find out about this forum until after I was accepted and had made my decision, but I can only imagine how demoralizing it would have been to see the following: I got a 35. Should I retake? I have a 3.9. Do you think that would be frowned upon? Harvard or Yale? Harvard or Yale? Ah I don't know what to do. I got into every school I applied, but do doctors make enough (I feel doomed, why)? And the list of unreasonable claims continues.
So, just do what you feel is right and be patient. Submit the AMCAS early, be eloquent with your secondaries, have confidence during your interview and this is basically all you can do at this point to help yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
well said nascentdoc. Rock on.

this site has a very minimal addiction factor compared to a few others

I've got almost 20,000 posts on a different forum

ya know, I was thinking about posting this type of thread yesterday. I just joined a few weeks ago, but I have already found that I spend ENTIRELY too much time on this forum. I gotta work on my app, for ***k's sake.

I'm still looking for sdn aholoics support group...

You newbies talk about SDN addictions like you know what it is.... you have no clue. Wait till you have been here for years and years and years :scared: :eek: :cool: :D :D

nascentdoc said:
If you guys are in the process of applying, my advice to you is, stay away from SDN! This forum has ways of dimishing one's confidence and this is a trait you will need throughout this ordeal and especialy interviews. Sure, there's a wealth of information being exchanged but everyone is different and their experiences with the med. applications will be unique. I didn't find out about this forum until after I was accepted and had made my decision, but I can only imagine how demoralizing it would have been to see the following: I got a 35. Should I retake? I have a 3.9. Do you think that would be frowned upon? Harvard or Yale? Harvard or Yale? Ah I don't know what to do. I got into every school I applied, but do doctors make enough (I feel doomed, why)? And the list of unreasonable claims continues.
So, just do what you feel is right and be patient. Submit the AMCAS early, be eloquent with your secondaries, have confidence during your interview and this is basically all you can do at this point to help yourself.

Does that apply to future applicants also?

clevertooth said:
Does that apply to future applicants also?

I would say future applicants have much to learn, even if we're talking about minutia. However, for the reasons mentioned above I think it would be much better to distance oneself from this forum once emerged in the application process and steps to take are pretty much clear (or they should be at that point).

Scubadoc said:
"Hello, my name is Scubadoc, and I'm an SDN-aholic." "Hello, Scubadoc." :cool:

Great, there are two of us. Now we can start a support group...

nascentdoc said:
If you guys are in the process of applying, my advice to you is, stay away from SDN!

I partially agree with you and partially disagree with you as well. While it is sometimes discouraging to hear that others get 35+'s on the MCATS while you struggled to beat your practice test scores, I found SDN to be an invaluable resource during my application procedure. Here, I got advice on that AMCAS, got travel tips on how to get to around at my interview locations, along with the opportunity to share my experiences and opinions with others during this crazy rollercoaster that is the admissions process. As someone whose close circle of friends are not pre-meds, its nice to be able to discuss issues about something that is a HUGE deal and will eventually shape myfuture. Sure, hearing that someone got a 38 MCAT might be intimidate you, but whose to say that that person isn't a tool who reads molecular biology books day and night for fun (not that all of you 38'ers are like this!). So, I recommend get some advice and tips from the people here on SDN but try not to let the bragging/trolling make you feel like any less of a person/applicant. :horns:

Members don't see this ad :)
felipe5 said:
I partially agree with you and partially disagree with you as well. :horns:

I agree with your partial disagreement here. When someone knows that his MCAT score is not too compettitive, the first thing he should do here is to search for the right threads and pm the right persons. A lot of intelligences and experiences here to learn from. How could one initiate his advance into medicine if he can't survive this community? Besides, we all know that mediocrity always outnumbers its counterparts closer to each end of the extremes, right?

my wife is about ready to cancel the internet subscription.

1viking said:

Oh no! Is SDN keeping you from her?

*raises hand* I'm addicted.

1viking said:

Many conversations with my wife begin with:

"so I was reading this post on that student doctor site..."
"somone posted an interesting article on that student doctor site..."

I'm sure she is sick of hearing about it. It is also hard not to use your spouse as a dumping ground for all your fears during the med school application process. My wife was so sick of the word MCAT by the time that April rolled around, I swear she was going to strangle me if I said the "m-word" one more time ;)

HI I'm rockstar2525, and I'm also an SDN-aholic!! :laugh:

This is hilarious because I was just thinking about this the other night, as I quoted SDN for the billionth time to my friend who is also applying. I thought to myself, maybe I should more time ACTUALLY applying (ie writing my essays) and less time reading about applying on SDN.

dnelsen said:
I'm sure she is sick of hearing about it. It is also hard not to use your spouse as a dumping ground for all your fears during the med school application process. My wife was so sick of the word MCAT by the time that April rolled around, I swear she was going to strangle me if I said the "m-word" one more time ;)

How true are your words! I've been nervously into preparing for MCAT for last months (still 9 more ones of "m-word" till April 2005), loking for (and widely quoting) the info online and recently i found this forum! (oh my poor husband! :D )

IMHO it's time to start support group for spouses and friends of MD applicants (with discount for victims of SDN)

If this site is hurting your personal lives, I really suggest seeking professional help immediately. :D

Personally, I think the site is interesting so I browse during slow times at work. Lots of good info and some interesting personalities here. But spending hours on end while at home? Cmon people, get a hobby! You cant get into medical school by posting in a pre-med forum! :smuggrin:

I think I've been signed up for this site for a few days and already its the first thing I go to when my internet explorer loads..everyone I know thats applying reads this site like its their life.too funny

But definately next year when I apply,I'm staying away from these forums till AFTER i hear back from schools.

otherwise im going to go nutty.

:)

plazaday said:
next year when I apply,I'm staying away from these forums till AFTER i hear back from schools. otherwise im going to go nutty.

and besides getting us, poor nervous students, so nutty, the forum (and computer in general) can consume much time, soo... everything that happens to us, happens upon our permission.

addicted? I don't know about that...I think I've got to envoke the immortal words of Bob Saget on this one..

"I used to suck d*** for coke! You ever suck d*** for SDN? didn't think so!"

velocypedalist said:
addicted? I don't know about that...I think I've got to envoke the immortal words of Bob Saget on this one..

Hahaha :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Did Bob Saget really say that?

Originally Posted by ifailedmcat
Did Bob Saget really say that?

actually, outside of Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos, his stand-up comedy routines were always quite vulgar. makes me wonder how in the hell he got on those two shows to begin with.... :confused:

superdevil said:
actually, outside of Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos, his stand-up comedy routines were always quite vulgar. makes me wonder how in the hell he got on those two shows to begin with.... :confused:

LOL... Bob Sagat may well be the most vulgar comedian of all time.

velocypedalist said:

It's from Half-baked. Excellent movie. Many good quotes from that one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: