• Forums Updates - Thursday at 1:00 AM Eastern
    We will be performing some system maintenance on Thursday starting around 1:00 AM Eastern. The forums will be unavailable for approximately one hour.

addiction psychiatry fellowship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gooner007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in addiction psychiatry, and was wondering if a fellowship is enough to allow me to work exclusively in addiction psychiatry.

As far as my understanding goes, a subspecialty allows one to focus a career on that specific subspecialty. Whereas a fellowship allows for additional work in addition to practicing general adult psychiatry.

My question is, is a fellowship in addiction psychiatry sufficient to practice addiction psychiatry exclusively? Is it sustainable to run this sort of practice? If so, how much of a salary drop can one expect? And is it realistic to open an addiction psychiatry private clinic.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

An addiction psychiatry fellowship is necessary to become board-certified in addiction psychiatry after you are certified in adult or child psychiatry.

What proportion of your practice you devote to addiction after that is entirely up to you.

Salary will vary from about the same as adult psychiatry on up, depending on how entrepeneurial you are. It is theoretically possible to open a private practice in addiction. Sustainability is up to you.

I'm interested in addiction psychiatry, and was wondering if a fellowship is enough to allow me to work exclusively in addiction psychiatry.

As far as my understanding goes, a subspecialty allows one to focus a career on that specific subspecialty. Whereas a fellowship allows for additional work in addition to practicing general adult psychiatry.

My question is, is a fellowship in addiction psychiatry sufficient to practice addiction psychiatry exclusively? Is it sustainable to run this sort of practice? If so, how much of a salary drop can one expect? And is it realistic to open an addiction psychiatry private clinic.

Thanks!