• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

foxtrot

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2005
Southeast
Status
Attending Physician
What does it take to become a board certified addictionologist (i.e. do you need to do a fellowship or can you just study for the exam and take the test)? Can you do this if you are not a psychiatrist but you are pain board certified in anesthesia? Any info would be appreciated.

ghost dog

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Kazakhstan
Status
Attending Physician
What does it take to become a board certified addictionologist (i.e. do you need to do a fellowship or can you just study for the exam and take the test)? Can you do this if you are not a psychiatrist but you are pain board certified in anesthesia? Any info would be appreciated.
why would you want to?

olafa

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
I think you can- my attending in fellowship (anesthesiologist) has that cert hanging in one of the exam rooms.
My opinion is that may set you up for primary referal center (now that YOU are the "expert") for crazy-town... no thanks!

About the Ads

joshmir

15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2003
the B'Nai Geserat rathskeller
www.flavorpill.com
Status
Attending Physician
a very smart attending I know got boarded in it under the idea that one day you may get sued or taken to court for writing narcs and so if you are boarded in addictionology it could help...all he had to do was read and take a test

PMR 4 MSK

Large Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
a very smart attending I know got boarded in it under the idea that one day you may get sued or taken to court for writing narcs and so if you are boarded in addictionology it could help...all he had to do was read and take a test
And at the same time, they may hold you to an even higher standard - "You are double-boarded in pain and addiction. There is no way you could not have known this patient was an addict! Please surrender your license..."

joshmir

15+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2003
the B'Nai Geserat rathskeller
www.flavorpill.com
Status
Attending Physician
hmmmm

I may have taken the wrong assumption

I assumed that someone WITH addictionology boards would be legally safe in prescribing opiates to an addict, as opposed to someone WITHOUT addictionology boards....I have often heard it said regarding patients "they should only get opiates from an addictionologist"

is this not accurate? do addictionologists not give opiates to addicts under certain conditions?

PinchandBurn

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
I'm assuming this came up since many of us recently received an email from a American Board of Additionology. FYI it is not ABMS recognized.

You would definitely get a lot of 'dumps'. On the other hand, I wonder if JoSHMIR's point has a lot of validity. I feel as though you can argue as an addictionologist, you did what was medically correct. Unfortunately, Mr. X OD'd etc....interesting..

ghost dog

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Kazakhstan
Status
Attending Physician
I'm assuming this came up since many of us recently received an email from a American Board of Additionology. FYI it is not ABMS recognized.

You would definitely get a lot of 'dumps'. On the other hand, I wonder if JoSHMIR's point has a lot of validity. I feel as though you can argue as an addictionologist, you did what was medically correct. Unfortunately, Mr. X OD'd etc....interesting..
Screw these opioid dumps man, I have absolutely had it with this crap.

I don't know about you guys, but I have a fairly steady stream of reasonable docs who refer me patients (i.e. patients who don't just "want narcs").

It's fairly easy to identify these opioid consults / dump patients. I now call these docs and counsel them accordingly. How else will they learn? :cool:

"Pt's last Oxycontin provider moved away / spontaneously combusted / lost narcotics license. Please assess "

Not gonna happen my friend.

About the Ads