1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Addictionology

Discussion in 'Pain Medicine' started by foxtrot, Jul 23, 2011.

1. foxtrot

foxtrot Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What does it take to become a board certified addictionologist (i.e. do you need to do a fellowship or can you just study for the exam and take the test)? Can you do this if you are not a psychiatrist but you are pain board certified in anesthesia? Any info would be appreciated.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ghost dog

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    why would you want to?

4. olafa

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think you can- my attending in fellowship (anesthesiologist) has that cert hanging in one of the exam rooms.
    My opinion is that may set you up for primary referal center (now that YOU are the "expert") for crazy-town... no thanks!

5. foxtrot

foxtrot Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    All good points. I was just curious more than anything.

6. imfrankie

imfrankie Anesthesiologist
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think MCW has addiction medicine fellowshp.

7. joshmir

joshmir Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    a very smart attending I know got boarded in it under the idea that one day you may get sued or taken to court for writing narcs and so if you are boarded in addictionology it could help...all he had to do was read and take a test

8. PMR 4 MSK

PMR 4 MSK Large Member
    SDN Advisor 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And at the same time, they may hold you to an even higher standard - "You are double-boarded in pain and addiction. There is no way you could not have known this patient was an addict! Please surrender your license..."

9. joshmir

joshmir Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hmmmm

I may have taken the wrong assumption

I assumed that someone WITH addictionology boards would be legally safe in prescribing opiates to an addict, as opposed to someone WITHOUT addictionology boards....I have often heard it said regarding patients "they should only get opiates from an addictionologist"

is this not accurate? do addictionologists not give opiates to addicts under certain conditions?

10. PinchandBurn

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm assuming this came up since many of us recently received an email from a American Board of Additionology. FYI it is not ABMS recognized.

You would definitely get a lot of 'dumps'. On the other hand, I wonder if JoSHMIR's point has a lot of validity. I feel as though you can argue as an addictionologist, you did what was medically correct. Unfortunately, Mr. X OD'd etc....interesting..

11. ghost dog

2+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Screw these opioid dumps man, I have absolutely had it with this crap.

I don't know about you guys, but I have a fairly steady stream of reasonable docs who refer me patients (i.e. patients who don't just "want narcs").

It's fairly easy to identify these opioid consults / dump patients. I now call these docs and counsel them accordingly. How else will they learn? :cool:

"Pt's last Oxycontin provider moved away / spontaneously combusted / lost narcotics license. Please assess "

Not gonna happen my friend.