Adding schools after my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ptavasso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a Canadian applicant applying to American medical schools (as well as Canadian and St Georges). I'm writing the MCAT August 22 so I don't know how good I'll do (I'm guessing 35 or higher) and my GPA is 3.68.

So far my AMCAS application cost is $930. I am also applying for DO schools (AACOMAS) so there's that charge as well. I don't want to spend so much money applying to schools if I end up with a bad mark.

I know it takes up to around a month for my AMCAS app to be verified after I submit it. If I submit it now, can I add schools in September (obviously if their deadline isn't September) with no extra time wasted? Does it only take time for AMCAS to verify my application or do the individual med schools take any time of their own (i.e. as long as my AMCAS is verified, whenever I add a school I will receive their secondary right away?)

I mean if I add a school now or add a school in September, they would be looking at my application at the same time right? They don't look at your app right after it's verified by AMCAS if you don't have your MCAT score right (i.e. they wait)?

Do they send secondaries right after the AMCAS app is verified? If so, I can see how I would be at a disadvantage applying in Sep vs. mid July (when I'm guessing my AMCAS will be verified).

Basically, is it a good idea to wait until September to add schools to my app after seeing my MCAT score or would I be at a great disadvantage?

Sorry it's hard to word my question. Please let me know if you need clarification.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm a Canadian applicant applying to American medical schools (as well as Canadian and St Georges). I'm writing the MCAT August 22 so I don't know how good I'll do (I'm guessing 35 or higher) and my GPA is 3.68.

So far my AMCAS application cost is $930. I am also applying for DO schools (AACOMAS) so there's that charge as well. I don't want to spend so much money applying to schools if I end up with a bad mark.

I know it takes up to around a month for my AMCAS app to be verified after I submit it. 1) If I submit it now, can I add schools in September (obviously if their deadline isn't September) with no extra time wasted?

2) I mean if I add a school now or add a school in September, they would be looking at my application at the same time right? They don't look at your app right after it's verified by AMCAS if you don't have your MCAT score right (i.e. they wait)?

3) Basically, is it a good idea to wait until September to add schools to my app after seeing my MCAT score or would I be at a great disadvantage?

4) Do they send secondaries right after the AMCAS app is verified? If so, I can see how I would be at a disadvantage applying in Sep vs. mid July (when I'm guessing my AMCAS will be verified).

Sorry it's hard to word my question. Please let me know if you need clarification.

Seriously, just wait till next year to apply. Taking the MCAT in late August means you will not be complete at any schools till late September. Being Canadian already puts you at a disadvantage and being late only slams that final nail in the coffin.

As for your specific questions,
1) Yes
2) Correct
3) It doesn't matter, you're already at the greatest disadvantage you could be at. Adding early gives you access to the secondary earlier, but because of SDN you'll be able to find the prompts earlier anyways.
4) Most schools will send them right away if they do not pre-screen based on numbers. I would still use the unwritten rule of a two week turn around time even though the schools will not review you app until your MCAT score comes in.

Edit to ptavasso's edit. It does not take time to add schools. That is done instantly, but some schools only download AMCAS data once a week or w/e so you could have a few day delay.

Thank you. I have decided to wait until next year to apply for MD schools in the US. This year I will apply to DO US schools, Canadian med schools, and St Georges.

Seriously, just wait till next year to apply. Taking the MCAT in late August means you will not be complete at any schools till late September. Being Canadian already puts you at a disadvantage and being late only slams that final nail in the coffin.

As for your specific questions,
1) Yes
2) Correct
3) It doesn't matter, you're already at the greatest disadvantage you could be at. Adding early gives you access to the secondary earlier, but because of SDN you'll be able to find the prompts earlier anyways.
4) Most schools will send them right away if they do not pre-screen based on numbers. I would still use the unwritten rule of a two week turn around time even though the schools will not review you app until your MCAT score comes in.

Edit to ptavasso's edit. It does not take time to add schools. That is done instantly, but some schools only download AMCAS data once a week or w/e so you could have a few day delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I have decided to wait until next year to apply for MD schools in the US. This year I will apply to DO US schools, Canadian med schools, and St Georges.

I don't know that I would do this either. Will you really be happy with yourself if you apply late this year with a 35 and end up going DO. This is not mean to start and MD vs DO war, but it's something you should consider.

My thought is that wanting to get into a mid/ high tier IM residency has nothing to do with being MD or DO, it's up to the individual student because DO and MD don't differ in competitiveness regarding IM (only with harder residencies like surgery).
I thought that getting into IM as a DO was no problem since more than half of DO go into internal med and the competition is less.

Also, I am not willing to waste an entire year of my life in university when I could have started my medical career one year earlier (starting next year after my third year of uni) by accepting my DO acceptance (if I get one) and not waiting to apply to MD next year.

I don't know that I would do this either. Will you really be happy with yourself if you apply late this year with a 35 and end up going DO. This is not mean to start and MD vs DO war, but it's something you should consider.

Do not do this. Your stats sound like they're good enough to get in to a US MD school if you don't get in to Canadian schools. And you should absolutely not apply Caribbean

I don't know much about the Canadian application timeline, but if you're going to be late there too, then hold off on applying until next year.

I wanted to apply to US MD schools this year but my app cost is $930 already (plus around the same for secondaries) and I don't want to spend this much if my MCAT ends up being bad then I'll have to do it all over again. Waiting to apply after my MCAT score is in would put me at a disadvantage because of how late it would be. I am already at a disadvantage being Canadian

I don't want to waste a potential year I could be out of uni earlier by waiting to apply until next year so I'm giving DO and Canada a shot.

My MCAT being August 22 is the only reason I'm not going to bother applying to US med this year

Do not do this. Your stats sound like they're good enough to get in to a US MD school if you don't get in to Canadian schools. And you should absolutely not apply Caribbean

I don't know much about the Canadian application timeline, but if you're going to be late there too, then hold off on applying until next year.

I wanted to apply to US MD schools this year but my app cost is $930 already (plus around the same for secondaries) and I don't want to spend this much if my MCAT ends up being bad then I'll have to do it all over again. Waiting to apply after my MCAT score is in would put me at a disadvantage because of how late it would be. I am already at a disadvantage being Canadian

I don't want to waste a potential year I could be out of uni earlier by waiting to apply until next year so I'm giving DO and Canada a shot.

My MCAT being August 22 is the only reason I'm not going to bother applying to US med this year

Then don't apply DO and stick with only applying Canadian MD this year. If applying DO is your backup to US MD then that's fine, but applying DO without trying US MD with a 3.68/possible 35 could come back to haunt you in 4 years when you're applying to residency and you realize that some TOP tier residencies/supercompetitive fields will have a bias against DO applicants

That is great advice, thank you. I think I'm going to follow what you said.

Then don't apply DO and stick with only applying Canadian MD this year. If applying DO is your backup to US MD then that's fine, but applying DO without trying US MD with a 3.68/possible 35 could come back to haunt you in 4 years when you're applying to residency and you realize that some TOP tier residencies/supercompetitive fields will have a bias against DO applicants