Adding schools this late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ysquared

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've just finished submitting all of the 21 secondaries that I've received so far (don't know if I've passed the screen at UCLA and UCSF yet), which includes 12 top 20s and 9 non-top 20s. I've been getting really worried that I applied too top heavy though, with a 3.8/518 and average ECs. I'm considering adding in a few other schools (like 2-3 from Miami, Keck, Emory, Mayo, Case Western, or Northwestern), but I don't know if it'd be too late. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you receive any IIs yet?
Not yet. Although I submitted my secondaries early on, my committee didn't finish my letter until last Thursday (8/18), so I'm not sure if any schools have gotten around to reviewing my app yet (or if I've just been screened out already...)

Members don't see this ad :)
When you add schools, everything gets sent to them right away, so you absolutely can do so now. The rule of thumb I've seen posted is that having your committee letter in/app complete by Labor Day is fine.

When you add schools, everything gets sent to them right away, so you absolutely can do so now. The rule of thumb I've seen posted is that having your committee letter in by Labor Day is fine.
So the time frame including waiting for secondaries (I can pre-write) and waiting to be marked complete is still ok as of right now?

Last edited:
So the time frame including waiting for secondaries (I can pre-write) and waiting to be marked complete is ok as of right now?
Yes, if you add schools tomorrow and pre-write secondaries, you should be getting marked complete right around the unofficial deadline for being on time.

People tend to freak out way too much about this stuff. Some colleges don't even get all their prehealth committee letters sent out until September! The "lateness factor" is really not worth worrying about for you in this situation.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, if you add schools tomorrow and pre-write secondaries, you should be getting marked complete right around the unofficial deadline for being on time.

People tend to freak out way too much about this stuff. Some colleges don't even get all their prehealth committee letters sent out until September! The "lateness factor" is really not worth worrying about for you in this situation.
Thanks so much for your reply! It's so easy to get caught up in all the SDN madness, with some people saying that even mid-August is cutting it close, but I'll try to calm down!

Reactions: 1 user