addition of potassium iodide may affect?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Q: the addition of potassium iodide as a nutritional supplement to common table salt would most directly affect the function of which of these glands?

A: thyroid

I know the thyroid gland produces thyroid hormones (i.e throxin) which is necessary for growth and neurological development in children. It also produces calcitonin to inhibit the release of Ca2+ from the bone. But, how does it actually involve with potassium iodide?

I first picked the choice answer "aldosterone" which stimulates the secretion of K+ since I though high K+ concentration would cause adrenal cortex to make more aldosterone.

Members don't see this ad.

the thyroid gland makes some hormones with iodine in them

they give you KI pills if you live within the fallout radius of a nuclear reactor to protect your THYROID. sorry, i associate strange things with bio when i study to help me remember it better.

Smooth Operater said:
Q: the addition of potassium iodide as a nutritional supplement to common table salt would most directly affect the function of which of these glands?

I know the thyroid gland produces thyroid hormones (i.e throxin) which is necessary for growth and neurological development in children. It also produces calcitonin to inhibit the release of Ca2+ from the bone. But, how does it actually involve with potassium iodide?

I first picked the choice answer "aldosterone" which stimulates the secretion of K+ since I though high K+ concentration would cause adrenal cortex to make more aldosterone.

Potassium is really everywhere in the body and wouldn't be very specific to the Kidneys for this question. Whenever you hear Iodide though, think thyroid gland. FYI, calcitonin is produced in the parathyroid gland, not the thyroid. (Just in case that every comes up) GL! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:

Iodine is needed for the synthesis of T3 (triiodothyronine) and T4 (tetraiodothyronine).

thanks guys, now i got it

What's the function of thyroxin from thyroid gland ? Is thyorxin a type of T4?

btw, I am 100% sure Calcitonine is secreted by thyroid gland as I am looking at my kaplan book right now :D unless kaplan is wrong?

Smooth Operater said:
thanks guys, now i got it

What's the function of thyroxin from thyroid gland ? Is thyorxin a type of T4?

btw, I am 100% sure Calcitonine is secreted by thyroid gland as I am looking at my kaplan book right now :D unless kaplan is wrong?

thyroxine is the major form of t4 in the blood. calcitonin=thyroid.