Additional Comments Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellowalnut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to use the additional comments section on secondaries to explain a 2.97 first year GPA with an upward trend? It was due to lack of discipline and immaturity but I'd like to think that I turned it around and even held a 3.85 while working a bit over usual part-time hours.

Also what are the opinions on leaving this section blank? I submitted my primary early July so there hasn't been much that has changed from then. I don't want to come across as being lazy but at the same time, do adcoms even enjoy reading or find use in similar "why this school" essays that everyone is writing.

Members don't see this ad.

I call a situation like that first year GPA "a zit". Everyone will see it. The point is, most people will get past it and see your fine qualities and judge you based on those qualities. At this point, do you want to point out the zit and talk about how you got it and what you've done about it or do you want to keep silent or deflect attention away from the zit and onto the more attractive portions of your application?

Reactions: 1 user
Is it necessary to use the additional comments section on secondaries to explain a 2.97 first year GPA with an upward trend? It was due to lack of discipline and immaturity but I'd like to think that I turned it around and even held a 3.85 while working a bit over usual part-time hours.

Also what are the opinions on leaving this section blank? I submitted my primary early July so there hasn't been much that has changed from then. I don't want to come across as being lazy but at the same time, do adcoms even enjoy reading or find use in similar "why this school" essays that everyone is writing.

There is no reason to draw attention to a negative especially given that adcoms will already see it.

Reactions: 1 user