additional documents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buzzworm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I have to choose between the following to send in with an application as an "additional document", what do you think looks better:

1. A published review article that I coauthored (but am not the first author on)
2. An excerpt from my (unpublished) independent thesis project

The thesis shows research that I conducted myself, and is also clearly written by me and not by anybody else. On the other hand, I know that a published article carries a lot of weight in these circles. Does that overshadow the fact that it's a review rather than original research, and that I'm not the only author on it?

Members don't see this ad.

im going to say #2... if it's too long - you can put a note at the top saying it was edited for quick overview purposes.

why not send both? but maybe #2 since it is your work and the co-authored piece is a review article. in your cv/resume you should have the citation for the first one, anyhow

Are they both in the same area or would one be more relevant than the other for the places you are applying? If they are both relevant, then I would probably say your thesis. The thesis shows that you know how to review the literature, come up with a novel research idea, and then carry it out.