Additional Grant Funding for Clinical Psych. PhD ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychman23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am enrolling in a clinical psych program in the fall that does not give 100% tuition remission. Therefore I am seeking outside financial sources.

Does anyone have a list of grants(applications) or awards that clinical psychology graduate students are eligible for? I've heard we are not eligible for NSA's?

Specifically I am in the neuropsych speciality.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical psych can do NRSA's (F31) though that typically isn't til dissertation time.

There is nothing technically preventing us from doing an NSF fellowship (we're eligible), but you have to very carefully structure your research line as basic science. If you're doing research that even hints at being clinical in nature you're out of luck with them. However, if you wanted to research something like individual differences in biological factors related to attention processes, you might (I emphasize MIGHT) be able to make it fly for NSF. The kind of basic work that might be utilized for something clinical later on, but has no direct and obvious implications.

Sorry, no idea on other sources. Really, I don't think NSF is a good option for most people - I think if you are in clinical psych, you may find an area you want to research that falls into the domain of NSF and then great, but I wouldn't recommend structuring interests around it.

I know someone who got the NSF. They worded it more towards neuropsychology. It is, however, incredibly competitive.

http://www.apa.org/pi/wpo/fellows.html

There is an (older), very incomplete list of some the APA put together.

I would also ask your department if they know if more internal funding.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several clinical students where I am got an NSF or an honorable mention, so apply even if you're in that boat.