Jun 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Could somebody tell me if the two extra essays to be composed for the MD/PhD application portion of AMCAS are available to the schools which you JUST are applying MD to? I'm asking because I want to take a chance at some MDPhD opportunities but would not want those extra essays to be available to the schools I'm applying just MD to.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
I don't know, but it seems like kind of an odd thing to get hung up on. What would you write in an MD/PhD essay that would reflect poorly on an MD application? Even if you're going on about research medicine, MDs do plenty of that too, so I don't see where that hurts you.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you. My guess would be that they wouldn't send out unnecessary essays, but as to whether it's impossible for an MD program to get at your MD/PhD application? Your guess is as good as mine. You could send an e-mail or phone call to AMCAS and ask, I suppose.

Cytotoxic

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Could somebody tell me if the two extra essays to be composed for the MD/PhD application portion of AMCAS are available to the schools which you JUST are applying MD to? I'm asking because I want to take a chance at some MDPhD opportunities but would not want those extra essays to be available to the schools I'm applying just MD to.
No. They're only sent to the MD/PhD programs you designate.