Additional Medical Exposure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cambino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya -

I currently have a position in the ED where I'm constantly with a new, different emergency doc every day as I work. Basically, I have direct exposure to patients and medical workflow ~24 hours/week with an actual role at the hospital.
Would it be necessary to be involved with several other medical extracurriculars besides that of my job?
Cumulatively, I will have been working here for 4 years before I matriculate to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hiya -

I currently have a position in the ED where I'm constantly with a new, different emergency doc every day as I work. Basically, I have direct exposure to patients and medical workflow ~24 hours/week with an actual role at the hospital.
Would it be necessary to be involved with several other medical extracurriculars besides that of my job?
Cumulatively, I will have been working here for 4 years before I matriculate to med school.
What is your position, an ED tech, scribe, etc.? I wouldn't worry about gaining more clinical work experience (either volunteer or paid) beyond this. The only thing I would do is shadow a few doctors outside the ED, including someone in primary care. Add on some non-clinical volunteering with a cause you care about and you should be all set on the clinical/volunteering front regarding EC's.

What is your position, an ED tech, scribe, etc.? I wouldn't worry about gaining more clinical work experience (either volunteer or paid) beyond this. The only thing I would do is shadow a few doctors outside the ED, including someone in primary care. Add on some non-clinical volunteering with a cause you care about and you should be all set on the clinical/volunteering front regarding EC's.

Thanks. I'm a scribe.
Definitely planned on adding some non-clinical volunteering, I was just wondering how much more clinical work I needed.
Thanks again.

Sounds like you have plenty of clinical exposure. Maybe shadow a primary care doc or two if you're so inclined. Otherwise try to focus on non-medical volunteer work.