• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

Additional Medical Exposure?

Cambino

Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hiya -

I currently have a position in the ED where I'm constantly with a new, different emergency doc every day as I work. Basically, I have direct exposure to patients and medical workflow ~24 hours/week with an actual role at the hospital.
    Would it be necessary to be involved with several other medical extracurriculars besides that of my job?
    Cumulatively, I will have been working here for 4 years before I matriculate to med school.

Last edited:

theseeker4

PGY 3
    7+ Year Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    Suburban Detroit, MI
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      Hiya -

I currently have a position in the ED where I'm constantly with a new, different emergency doc every day as I work. Basically, I have direct exposure to patients and medical workflow ~24 hours/week with an actual role at the hospital.
      Would it be necessary to be involved with several other medical extracurriculars besides that of my job?
      Cumulatively, I will have been working here for 4 years before I matriculate to med school.
      What is your position, an ED tech, scribe, etc.? I wouldn't worry about gaining more clinical work experience (either volunteer or paid) beyond this. The only thing I would do is shadow a few doctors outside the ED, including someone in primary care. Add on some non-clinical volunteering with a cause you care about and you should be all set on the clinical/volunteering front regarding EC's.

Cambino

Aug 4, 2011
      Oregon
      1. Pre-Medical
        What is your position, an ED tech, scribe, etc.? I wouldn't worry about gaining more clinical work experience (either volunteer or paid) beyond this. The only thing I would do is shadow a few doctors outside the ED, including someone in primary care. Add on some non-clinical volunteering with a cause you care about and you should be all set on the clinical/volunteering front regarding EC's.

Thanks. I'm a scribe.
        Definitely planned on adding some non-clinical volunteering, I was just wondering how much more clinical work I needed.
        Thanks again.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.