Ames980

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
Status
so ive more or less totally given myself over to my obsession/fantasy of getting off the SUNY Buffalo waitlist.... i'm working on my LOI right now, and am just wondering who to address it to? Mr. Russo has been my only real contact to this point and he seems to be on top of all this admissions stuff, but according to the web site Dr. Margaret Paroski is heading up the admissions office.... has anyone else written an LOI and who was it to??

also, does any one remember what they said about the waitlist? i recall hearing that "a lot" of kids get taken off of it, but i dont know if that was just here on sdn or from the actual school. and is "a lot" like 10 or like the top 1/3rd? i swear to god. i might actually go certafiably insane before school starts. sigh.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I didn't write an LOI, but I did send an update letter addressed to Mr. Rosso. I can't tell you for sure if that's the right person to send it to though.

Last year I think they got through about the middle of the middle third of the waitlist. So like if you take the middle 1/3rd and split it into thirds, the got about 1/2 to 2/3rds into the middle 1/3rd. If that makes sense. I think I remember you saying you were in the top 1/3rd so I think you should get in. I'm in the middle third so I rate my chances at around 50%.

naimist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
Status
Hi Ames and Kazema!
I'm on the UB waitlist as well! I was thinking about writing a LOI also, either to Mr. Rosso or to Dean Severin, since he was the one who signed the waitlist letter. Kazema, I'm in the middle pool as well and was told by Mr. Rosso that it was 50/50 at this point, but it's still too early to tell. Hopefully we'll all be classmates this fall! :luck:

OP
A

Ames980

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
Status
kaz - youre my ub superstar :) and thank you naimist! i never *ahem* actually got the letter [though i did finally break down and call as my mail is crap] so maybe i'll address it to him? i was initally going to do an update letter, but the sad fact is i dont have much to update! i graduated in 2003, so right now im just taking 1 class and dont have a grade for it yet, and everything else is pretty much the same.

once we all get in i say we have a blowout....

boyz of 4d

Proud Member of 4d
10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Status
I was waitlisted as well, in the middle too (I havent heard of anyone being told they arent in the middle??)) And I asked about sending update letters but what he had told me was that Buffalo uses a point system so that letters dont really have any effect on getting off waitlist. Anyone heard that? I know if it helps I want to send one too b/c I liked the school a lot as well. Let me know.

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I did hear that, but I figured that if I was writing update letters I may as well send them to Buffalo too.

OP
A

Ames980

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2004
Status
i feel like it cant *hurt* - if only for peace of mind, you know? im intent on getting a spot in that class and i dont want to not get in and think 'well, what if it did matter...?' - but that could be my crazyness talking...

GATORade

Retired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2001
NY
Status
I went as far as sending a letter of intent as well as an updated letter or recommendation. I too was, and still kind of am, obsessed with getting pulled off the Buffalo Waitlist. However, the recent discussions on the SUNY's financial situation has slightly curbed my obsession and has forced me to take a closer look at my private school acceptance. Just out of curiosity, what is your guys’ main interest in Buffalo? Is it the SUNY tuition? Location? Ect?

cmgoalie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
New York
Status
I too am on the "waitlist". How did you find out if you are in the "middle" of the list or the top third? I called and was told that they have not yet determined where anyone was on the list. I did not speak directly to Mr. Russo. I am curious to know how anyone found out more detailed information and who they spoke with. Thanks