Address confusion on residency paperwork

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountaineer12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've gotten a lot of paperwork this last week and I'm a bit confused as to what address I'm supposed to be using on it. I'll be moving out of my current place in about 1 month. I could list my parent's address, but that's 5 hours from my residency program. I'm trying to fill out of license application right now and I just don't know what address to list. I don't want to miss out on documents they try to send me. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would use your department's address at the hospital. That's always a safe bet since some of this information may eventually be made publicly available.

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
For licensing paperwork, I agree with the above, use your residency department's address. Or you can email your PC and ask what they recommend.

For other things, like all of the random internal documents that I had to send back to the program, I used my parents address. For internal stuff you can always change your address on file at the GME or program office once you get there and have a local address. I had a lot of headaches with USPS mail forwarding from my med school address to my residency address, so it was nice to be sure that residency documents weren't involved in that mess.

Thanks guys! I was able to get ahold of my residency coordinator after hours and she suggested putting my parents' address on pretty much everything and then changing it later. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Thanks guys! I was able to get ahold of my residency coordinator after hours and she suggested putting my parents' address on pretty much everything and then changing it later. Thanks for the help!

Just be careful with licensing paperwork. For some states, if you put your personal address in the wrong area of the form that will be the one the board publicly reports you to practice at. As in anyone who googles your name will see that address. Happened to some of my friends in CA.

So I've gotten a lot of paperwork this last week and I'm a bit confused as to what address I'm supposed to be using on it. I'll be moving out of my current place in about 1 month. I could list my parent's address, but that's 5 hours from my residency program. I'm trying to fill out of license application right now and I just don't know what address to list. I don't want to miss out on documents they try to send me. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks!
where are you moving to? your parents?
you could just list the address you have now and then just forward the mail to wherever you are going to next, but if that is your parents, then it would make sense to use that address and tell them to let you know if something is coming from your program.

otherwise you could do a PO box if you are planning on staying in the same area.

where are you moving to? your parents?
you could just list the address you have now and then just forward the mail to wherever you are going to next, but if that is your parents, then it would make sense to use that address and tell them to let you know if something is coming from your program.

otherwise you could do a PO box if you are planning on staying in the same area.

No, I'm moving about 5 hours away. I don't currently live with my parents either. This is all so confusing! I was planning on doing what you suggested, but then the Residency Coordinator suggested I put my parents' address on the forms?

No, I'm moving about 5 hours away. I don't currently live with my parents either. This is all so confusing! I was planning on doing what you suggested, but then the Residency Coordinator suggested I put my parents' address on the forms?

The problem we ran into with incoming residents using their current address, was that it takes a while for the Board to begin processing the paperwork. If the Board needs a clarification or additional information on an answer, they send a letter to the address on the application--but the person has moved.* Even if forwarding works (and it doesn't always), delays can ensue on a piece of the puzzle that is very time sensitive. The program will be out of the communication loop between the Board and applicant and have absolutely NO idea that any problems exist until it's close to time to start and someone doesn't have a license. We have everyone use an institutional address to resolve that issue, but at least with a parents' address you stand a better chance of getting correspondence quickly.

*It's likely that a Board would also contact you via email if they needed more info/clarification on some part of your application. If you use your school email on the application, please be absolutely certain that the school does discontinue email access after graduation (some do, some don't), or use a private email address as your contact info on the application.

Interestingly, I just had this happen to one of my incoming interns. He's an international student at a US school, so his home address isn't US. Can't use his current address, because he's leaving soon. His OPT visa paperwork can't be forwarded. To open a PO box, he needs to be present and show ID.

Ultimately, the solution was to use the hospital's recruitment office as an address, c/o "new intern"