Address to use for permanent license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychotic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year resident, and will soon apply for a permanent license in a couple of states. I will do the FCVS.

I do not plan to work immediately after the end of residency in June, and therefore do not have a new job or a place of employment to list on an application. What have others done, or what do you recommend I do, when filling out licensing apps to avoid using my home address?

I will check with my residency program to find out if I can use their address, at least until I know where I am going, but I am looking for other ideas. P.O. box, or mailbox plus arrangement?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd recommend getting a PO Box. And I'd use it for updating your NPI, DEA, state medical license, etc. It's easy to lose track of what is going where, which can cause problems down the line.

I also wouldn't use a residential address due to issues of safety. I'm forensic, so I am more cautious than most, but there are some really nasty stories for psychiatrists of any stripe.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd recommend getting a PO Box. And I'd use it for updating your NPI, DEA, state medical license, etc. It's easy to lose track of what is going where, which can cause problems down the line.

I also wouldn't use a residential address due to issues of safety. I'm forensic, so I am more cautious than most, but there are some really nasty stories for psychiatrists of any stripe.

How do you avoid listing your address in things like driver's license (if you ever get a traffic citation), property records, and voter records?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you not plan to work at all next year? Most of the residents in my program have had jobs lined up for some time now (if not doing fellowship). It's not too early to look for a job if you plan to work in September.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you not plan to work at all next year? Most of the residents in my program have had jobs lined up for some time now (if not doing fellowship). It's not too early to look for a job if you plan to work in September.

I am taking off a few months starting in July, and will study for and take the boards in September. I am just now starting to poke around, looking for a job. I may just sign up for a locums gig somewhere I am kind of interested in living. Yeah, I have peers who signed contracts for this summer LAST summer - freaked me out a bit, but I am still sorting it all out, not too worried about it if the next job I get starts in October, or November, or December...

What stories do you speak of?

I am taking off a few months starting in July, and will study for and take the boards in September. I am just now starting to poke around, looking for a job. I may just sign up for a locums gig somewhere I am kind of interested in living. Yeah, I have peers who signed contracts for this summer LAST summer - freaked me out a bit, but I am still sorting it all out, not too worried about it if the next job I get starts in October, or November, or December...
dont freak out. if they signed contracts a year in advance the job is probably not very good. most people dont last too long in their first job. most of my friends are looking to quit or have quit their first post-residency gig. i continued interviewing until may and signed in may. several of my friends similarly kept looking. if you are going to do locums, they can apply for the licenses for you and mail them to their address.

also i would strongly discourage you from getting multiple licenses unless you plan to practice in multiple jurisdictions. it's a nuisance, it makes it harder and slower to get subsequent licenses, and FCVS is notoriously awful and should be avoided at all costs. it will cost you more money and take longer for you to get licensed if you use them.

Reactions: 1 user

Is your address a matter of public record if you use it to get your license?

dont freak out. if they signed contracts a year in advance the job is probably not very good. most people dont last too long in their first job. most of my friends are looking to quit or have quit their first post-residency gig. i continued interviewing until may and signed in may. several of my friends similarly kept looking. if you are going to do locums, they can apply for the licenses for you and mail them to their address.

also i would strongly discourage you from getting multiple licenses unless you plan to practice in multiple jurisdictions. it's a nuisance, it makes it harder and slower to get subsequent licenses, and FCVS is notoriously awful and should be avoided at all costs. it will cost you more money and take longer for you to get licensed if you use them.

I have read both good and bad "reviews" about FCVS. Other than the high cost which doesn't really bother me, what makes FCVS so bad, and once you get all your info in FCVS, does it still take longer to get licensed, or is the problem the upfront time sink of setting up the account and letting them obtain all of your credentials which does seem to take a little too long (45 days).

I am curious your thoughts on first jobs out of residency, and how often people bail on them. Why do you think that is, other than people don't really know what to look for in the first gig?

Last edited:

The short answer to this is "yes" but maybe some states protect that information. Safer to assume it is all public information, so beware...

How do you avoid listing your address in things like driver's license (if you ever get a traffic citation), property records, and voter records?

I'm not sure about driver's licenses, but in Australia if you're a Doctor you can apply to have your name and address hidden on property records and electoral rolls, so no one can just search for you. Perhaps you could look into whether or not they have something similar where you are.

Depends on how your state's medical board operates, but at least in my state any license can be looked up by a member of the public which provides a profile of the physician, including a provided address. Fortunately, the medical board allows us to provide both a public and private address, with the latter being used for communications from the board but not published in your profile. I just used my residency office's address as my public address, which is viewable by anyone with either my license number or my name.

I assume most boards operate similarly.

Depends on how your state's medical board operates, but at least in my state any license can be looked up by a member of the public which provides a profile of the physician, including a provided address. Fortunately, the medical board allows us to provide both a public and private address, with the latter being used for communications from the board but not published in your profile. I just used my residency office's address as my public address, which is viewable by anyone with either my license number or my name.

I assume most boards operate similarly.

My board doesn't ask for private versus public, but it asks for mailing address and for "other address." I used my home address for mailing and my hospital address for "other." Now I'm wondering if I should try to look it up to see what's public. Fortunately, I'm moving from this home soon anyway and won't make that mistake again.

I would be surprised if your residency refuses to let you use their address. I made the mistake of using my home address and cell phone initially and to this day despite having changed it there are some websites out there that still have my cell phone listed so I get occasional phone calls from patients.

In our program we were specifically advised by our chiefs to put down the residency address because otherwise patients will show up to your home intoxicated demanding narcotics (which has happened before!!) :scared:... since your address is easily googled if its tied to your license.