Addressing Transfers/Interruptions on Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. LeBron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard it is a good idea to address 'red flags' on the personal statement. I transferred medical schools, due to a Civil war in my country. Not sure if that is a red flag or not but I don't mind addressing it. I also took several months off before starting my clerkships in the US to work and help cover expenses.

However on the ERAS application under experience, there is a box that asks 'was your medical/education training extended or interrupted?'. Why would they give you that space to answer if program directors want you to explain it on the personal statement?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can do either. You must explain it in the box, but you're limited in the amount you can write. You can write about it in your PS if you'd like, or write about something else. Talking about the Civil war and how it affected you and your training might be an interesting story.

You can do either. You must explain it in the box, but you're limited in the amount you can write. You can write about it in your PS if you'd like, or write about something else. Talking about the Civil war and how it affected you and your training might be an interesting story.

Ok, I was just worried about being redundant but you're right I can take it a different route in the personal statement.

Thanks!