This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denture-man101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Solution
The probe that they measure with is a plastic probe which is .2mm longer than the normal metal probe that you're probably using which makes your prep seem smaller or underreduced. The beginning of the black tick is 1mm and the portion above the black tick is 1.2 mm. With that said, even if you double and triple checked your measurements, your 0.5mm will be 0.3mm when you're using it with their plastic probe. Therefore, you should aim for 1mm for cervical margin width for all of them or even 1.2mm to be safe. You have plenty of room so even if it says 0.5 is the minimal for an acceptable, go for 1mm; if it says 1mm ... literally go for 1.5 mm. Trust me, just over reduce within the standard. I failed the first time on prosth because they...
The probe that they measure with is a plastic probe which is .2mm longer than the normal metal probe that you're probably using which makes your prep seem smaller or underreduced. The beginning of the black tick is 1mm and the portion above the black tick is 1.2 mm. With that said, even if you double and triple checked your measurements, your 0.5mm will be 0.3mm when you're using it with their plastic probe. Therefore, you should aim for 1mm for cervical margin width for all of them or even 1.2mm to be safe. You have plenty of room so even if it says 0.5 is the minimal for an acceptable, go for 1mm; if it says 1mm ... literally go for 1.5 mm. Trust me, just over reduce within the standard. I failed the first time on prosth because they said my margins were underreduced too..... the second time I took it, I made that baby SUPER large and I passed. Good luck.

PS. I asked the proctors at my site if burn marks were taken into consideration when grading and he said no. They aren't grading you on burn marks and they expect some burn marks to occur since most sites do not use water with the high speed. In terms of chips, I have never heard of a toothbrush chipping off the plastic tooth structure but it's not impossible! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Solution
Thanks a lot. I'm taking it next week. Fingers crossed. I'm making all my margins at 1mm even my cast metal crown. LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot. I'm taking it next week. Fingers crossed. I'm making all my margins at 1mm even my cast metal crown. LOL
Good luck!!! You'll do great! Make sure you overreduce WITHIN THE STANDARD / Range they give you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. can you please give your feedbac/ advice from the exam? For the Pfm abutment, did you make a wing preparation? I feel there are more chances of getting an undercut that way.

The probe that they measure with is a plastic probe which is .2mm longer than the normal metal probe that you're probably using which makes your prep seem smaller or underreduced. The beginning of the black tick is 1mm and the portion above the black tick is 1.2 mm. With that said, even if you double and triple checked your measurements, your 0.5mm will be 0.3mm when you're using it with their plastic probe. Therefore, you should aim for 1mm for cervical margin width for all of them or even 1.2mm to be safe. You have plenty of room so even if it says 0.5 is the minimal for an acceptable, go for 1mm; if it says 1mm ... literally go for 1.5 mm. Trust me, just over reduce within the standard. I failed the first time on prosth because they said my margins were underreduced too..... the second time I took it, I made that baby SUPER large and I passed. Good luck.

PS. I asked the proctors at my site if burn marks were taken into consideration when grading and he said no. They aren't grading you on burn marks and they expect some burn marks to occur since most sites do not use water with the high speed. In terms of chips, I have never heard of a toothbrush chipping off the plastic tooth structure but it's not impossible! :)
The probe is not .2mm longer do not tell anyone that.