ADHD Diagnosis After Joining?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe a diagnosis prior to joining can put some set-backs in an application. Any problems if you're diagnosed after joining?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe a diagnosis prior to joining can put some set-backs in an application. Any problems if you're diagnosed after joining?
ADHD and other learning disorders are only listed under conditions that can disqualify for joining. None are listed under retention standards.
Isn't a true dx of adult ADHD ultra-rare?
Depends on who you talk to. Many psychiatrists believe that adult ADHD doesn't exist. That it's either a current misdiagnosis for something else, or a late diagnosis of ADHD as a child that was never treated.

DC- You're on ASR, right? You'd probably be wise to go to an MTF and get a diagnosis from a military psychiatrist. I'd REALLY be careful about taking Adderall or anything else not prescribed via a military doc that will test for amphetamines on a pop-drug test.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am currently a premed student. I am wondering if having a prior diagnosis of ADD/ADHD is definitely going to prevent me from getting into the USUHS?

Hello, I am currently a premed student. I am wondering if having a prior diagnosis of ADD/ADHD is definitely going to prevent me from getting into the USUHS?

For Navy, you need to be off meds and demonstrate adequate academic performance prior to commissioning for 1 year.

Can there be waivers...yes, but less likely.

Due to my specialty, I see the adults with the ADHD. Physicians with ADHD can be treated with meds and it doesn't limit what you do in the military. You probably should not aspire to be a flying status physician though.
If you have treated or untreated ADHD (really if you are an adult you don't have the H part) and have gotten to medical school and succeeded, then you probably are fit to be a military doctor and a lot of waivers can be given out for that. Of course, those waivers go more toward the specialties the particular branch needs.

DC- You're on ASR, right? You'd probably be wise to go to an MTF and get a diagnosis from a military psychiatrist. I'd REALLY be careful about taking Adderall or anything else not prescribed via a military doc that will test for amphetamines on a pop-drug test.

Doesn't matter...as long as you have a diagnosis and a prescription from an appropriate provider. Meds typically show up in AHLTA (or at least they should) regardless if a civilian or military provider prescribes.