ADHD in the Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xx173xx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did see that there were a few OLD threads with a similar topic but I am needing some advice from anyone that can help so am restarting a thread for this. I am Air Force (HPSP) but am in a deferred residency right now. My program director has asked that I be evaluated and possibly treated for ADHD. This would be a new diagnosis for me and I am concerned on what this would do to my future in the military (i.e. what will they think when I go back active duty?) Especially if I do end up going under treatment for ADHD. I have read that they can deny you joining the military but what about if you have already been commissioned? Will they ask me to come off any meds when I go active? Will they boot me? I just am not sure and if anyone has any experience please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

It's ADHD, nobody cares. Just make sure you don't turn up positive on a UDS if your prescription is outside of the 3-month (or is it 6-month?) window.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are already commissioned an O1, right? Unless there's some major, asinine policy change in the near future this will not pose ANY problems what-so-ever...aside from the annoying fitness-for-duty eval if you get flagged by DONCAF or tasked for deployment/overseas, etc.

Yeah, I am O3 right now while deferred. I didn't think they would really do much but I was just wanting others thoughts on the matter.

Yeah, I am O3 right now while deferred. I didn't think they would really do much but I was just wanting others thoughts on the matter.

I missed that you were deferred, but you are most likely fine. Residents and med students and even attendings (or enlisted/officer from other corps) start psychotropics all the time while on active duty or in a status similar to yourself. ADHD isn't even a boardable condition--its something where if it affects your ability to function there is a DoD instruction that would probably permit an ADSEP, but its really, really hard to ADSEP an officer. Even in cases of misconduct or medical conditions that prevent deployment or fullfillment of job its still really, really hard to ADSEP an officer.

The policy for most of the branches is that you need to be off a psychotropic medication for one year prior to joining and/or need a waiver, but once you are in you pretty much have to be psychotic in order for them to succeed at separating you, but next to the USCG, the AF is one of the stricter branches it seems.

You'll be fine as long as it's not impairing your function. If they start you on medications during residency that's also no big deal because by the time you come on as a staff you would have been stable on the medications for over 90 days.

The bigger question (rhetorical) is the new diagnosis of "ADHD" in an adult. I do not know many adults who have the hyperactive component if they have "attention deficit. Often times the attention deficit component is secondary to underlying depression which can cause inattention, poor concentration, or irritability in young adults. I am no pediatrician or psychiatrist but I think it's (ADHD) is a bunk diagnosis in an adult. Just my $0.02. Now off of my soapbox.