Adios to the chili pepper

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by msgeorgeeliot, Jun 29, 2018.

1. msgeorgeeliot

biscuitsbiscuits likes this.
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. foreverbull

Good riddance!
    I was slightly alarmed to see that I already had a "Rate My Professor" rating mid-semester in my first semester of teaching (it feels jarring to be scrutinized in a very public way when I am a very private person). Did anyone else have this experience of "yikes, type in my name and automatically my teaching ratings are at the top of a Google Search!").
    That aside, this is a good step in combating the inherent ridiculousness of a "hotness" rating for teachers (I don't buy for a second that the chili pepper actually represented a teacher's "passion" for the subject. If so, then use a separate symbol that doesn't conjure images of one's "hotness" or appearance).

DokterMom likes this.
  4. DynamicDidactic

DynamicDidactic Ass of Prof

Psychologist
    I'd contend that the pepper is highly correlated with age not actual appearance. While I have no problems with getting rid of it, I am not sure there is any evidence that it is sexist as some stated in that article. If anything, it's probably more ageist than sexist. Looking over the last hottest professor list, it also doesn't seem to be particularly valid. But whatever. FWIW, I like the idea of public ratings of faculty. I wish it was more popular when I was an undergrad.

5. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist

It’s not sexist, it’s just wrong.

6. smalltownpsych

Psychologist

Psychologist
    I'm just disappointed that no students rated me. :thinking:

7. AbnormalPsych

AbnormalPsych Clinical Psychologist

Psychologist
    SAME! :arghh:

CA_PsyD_FL_LMHC likes this.
  8. psychRA

psychRA Psychologist

Good riddance. That pepper was gross and I'm surprised it's taken them this long to eliminate it.

Thelostlilac likes this.
  9. Meteora

Psychology Student
    I'm male but glad this is being removed. This is in no related to me feeling uncomfortable/objectified by having received one of those ratings on my RMP...