Adios to the chili pepper

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msgeorgeeliot

Licensed Psychologist
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 user
Good riddance!
I was slightly alarmed to see that I already had a "Rate My Professor" rating mid-semester in my first semester of teaching (it feels jarring to be scrutinized in a very public way when I am a very private person). Did anyone else have this experience of "yikes, type in my name and automatically my teaching ratings are at the top of a Google Search!").
That aside, this is a good step in combating the inherent ridiculousness of a "hotness" rating for teachers (I don't buy for a second that the chili pepper actually represented a teacher's "passion" for the subject. If so, then use a separate symbol that doesn't conjure images of one's "hotness" or appearance).

I'd contend that the pepper is highly correlated with age not actual appearance. While I have no problems with getting rid of it, I am not sure there is any evidence that it is sexist as some stated in that article. If anything, it's probably more ageist than sexist. Looking over the last hottest professor list, it also doesn't seem to be particularly valid. But whatever. FWIW, I like the idea of public ratings of faculty. I wish it was more popular when I was an undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good riddance. That pepper was gross and I'm surprised it's taken them this long to eliminate it.