Adjunct Clinical Professor of Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the benefits of serving as an adjunct clinical assistant or associate professor of psychiatry for medical students in a hospital/outpatient clinic/VA setting, besides the satisfaction of being a mentor who enjoys teaching?

How common/realistic is it for such psychiatrists to be compensated some form of secondary salary by the medical school (separate from the salary from one's primary clinical psychiatry job) for providing this teaching role (i.e. having students shadow, observe their pt interviews, provide formal or informal lectures, complete their student evaluations)?

Any insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of doctors in community hospitals getting some extra income for supervising medical students. I'm guessing this comes from the school paying the hospital? No clue how much money it is. I'm guessing the other benefit is the ego boost/potential CV boost. Maybe it sounds good on your website for your private practice to mention that you have a local academic affiliation with professor in your title.

Reactions: 1 user
Primarily the marketing boost for your private practice. Also, if you care, you have access to academic events (eg grand rounds). No extra income.

In general I have never heard of a medical school compensate for clinical teaching (apart from paying you a salary in a setting where there happen to be trainees). Giving didactics, taking on residents for supervision etc -- all free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Teaching ain't something you do for the money.

In my job working for a large hospital organization they do pay me a small amount extra for teaching med students but it's not anywhere close to being enough to consider it a second income (it's about one week's worth of pay per year). I do it because having students is fun and rewarding, not for the negligible amount of money I get for it.

However I do make substantially more by having a job in the community where I do a little teaching on the side than I would if I had stayed in academia. Academic medicine is truly a labor of love and I really respect the faculty who taught me for opting to teach even though they could be making a lot more money elsewhere.

What are the benefits of serving as an adjunct clinical assistant or associate professor of psychiatry for medical students in a hospital/outpatient clinic/VA setting, besides the satisfaction of being a mentor who enjoys teaching?

How common/realistic is it for such psychiatrists to be compensated some form of secondary salary by the medical school (separate from the salary from one's primary clinical psychiatry job) for providing this teaching role (i.e. having students shadow, observe their pt interviews, provide formal or informal lectures, complete their student evaluations)?

There have been setups in my city in the past where docs were getting paid for this but it is becoming increasingly rare as mentioned above. The real benefit is if you can get senior residents/fellows to do your job for you so you can work a second job... But really the real reward is training the future generation of providers and spreading your influence past the patients you see.

Warm smoke is blown gently up your arse in exchange for services that would otherwise be well compensated.

Reactions: 2 users
There have been setups in my city in the past where docs were getting paid for this but it is becoming increasingly rare as mentioned above. The real benefit is if you can get senior residents/fellows to do your job for you so you can work a second job... But really the real reward is training the future generation of providers and spreading your influence past the patients you see.

Not so useful for medical students because they often can't do much to meaningfully help you. At my hospital, they can't even chart.

Don't believe the hype. Only tenured professors get groupies.

An Adjunct role need not be strictly teaching - some departments designate everyone who is less than a certain %FTE (e.g. less than 0.5) as adjunct, even though they may do some work in clinical service and/or as a consultant, forensic doc, administrator, etc. In those situations, the pay is whatever the FTE dictates for the title (e.g. 0.4 of the assistant professor level). And the hours include teaching activities.

Probably the best perks would be the fact you can say you are affiliated with the University and have access to their library which should hopefully include the various journals, uptodate, and psychiatryonline.org. Sometimes they will offer limited benefits for those under 0.5FTE. My University also offers discounts on various services such as cellular, travel, etc. which is another plus.

Not so useful for medical students because they often can't do much to meaningfully help you. At my hospital, they can't even chart.

Absolutely, medical students are 100% a productivity loss. You work with them if they give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside for helping to train the next generation of docs. Getting residents, particularly senior residents or fellow can be huge income/lifestyle boons. For example, specialty surgeons can go from 24/7 call to taking call 1 day/week and then just backing up the resident by adding the affiliation to their private hospital. In psych, you can add a whole extra inpatient/IOP job by having a fellow cover all your patients at one hospital while you round at the second and then briefly swing by the first to sign off on charts.