Adjunct Professor from Community College Writing LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sudo

Señor Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over a summer, I took an English course at my local community college. I did very well in the course and maintained communication with my professor.

The professor has told me how I'm basically one of a kind to him and how he appreciates having the relationship he has with me, since he never gets to with other students at the community college.

So, I want to ask him for a letter of recommendation, but
  1. He's made it clear to me that he's currently an adjunct professor at the community college, and even though he is absolutely willing to write me a strong LOR, he suggested I ask someone who has higher status in academia.
  2. I don't know what his degree is (I've searched online)

So, what would you guys do? Should I just ask someone else? I'm trying to ask a non-science professor and think this guy would write me a phenomenal LOR.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Over a summer, I took an English course at my local community college. I did very well in the course and maintained communication with my professor.

The professor has told me how I'm basically one of a kind to him and how he appreciates having the relationship he has with me, since he never gets to with other students at the community college.

So, I want to ask him for a letter of recommendation, but
  1. He's made it clear to me that he's currently an adjunct professor at the community college, and even though he is absolutely willing to write me a strong LOR, he suggested I ask someone who has higher status in academia.
  2. I don't know what his degree is (I've searched online)

So, what would you guys do? Should I just ask someone else? I'm trying to ask a non-science professor and think this guy would write me a phenomenal LOR.

Thanks.

I would go with the CC guy. The academic reputation of the LOR writer pales in comparison to the quality of the letter unless we're talking about a bigwig like James Thomson or Steven Pinker.