Milamber

Grand Poomba
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm starting Med school this summer and getting the HPSP. My GF is having a hard time adjusting to the fact that I'll not be able to move where we both grew up for another 12 years due to school, residency and my service commitment. I was wondering what resouces were available for her to get a look at what life will be like as a military wife and coping with having to move away from NY. Any links or other help would be great. Thanks.

sethco

15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Not to sound condescending, but how serious are you about this GF? Did you consult her before signing the HPSP contract? I am just curious. I was single when I signed the contract and married my wife near the end of med school. She is not very happy about my service, but she knew what she was getting into, since her family moved around so much when she was a kid. I guess I am lucky in this sense that she can adapt in many different environments. However, when I orginally signed the contract I was dating someone for 2 years, who later left me during my 2nd year (2 weeks before my Step I none the less) because she could not stand the thought of leaving home and moving away with no family for many miles. Do you get where I am going with this? The sooner you sit down and discuss these issues with her, the better it will be. Otherwise, resentment and anticipation builds up over the years until the point where it erupts. Ideally, this should have been done before signing the contract, but there is no use in going down that road now.

With that being said, there are a few resources for her. The best would probably be if you know anybody in the military that is married to somebody not in the military. They have been through it. If you would like you can PM me any questions and I will pass it along to my wife. I have a feeling that the more people she talks to in her future situation, the better off she will be.

There is actually a lot to know for spouses (i.e Tricare enrollment, DEERS, Commisary/BX access, Fitness Center, On base vs. Off base housing resources, Family Support Center, Child Care, the list goes on and on). Usually at your first duty station, you will be assigned a sponsor that can help you and your SO out with everything.

Good Luck.

elderjack21

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'm starting Med school this summer and getting the HPSP. My GF is having a hard time adjusting to the fact that I'll not be able to move where we both grew up for another 12 years due to school, residency and my service commitment. I was wondering what resouces were available for her to get a look at what life will be like as a military wife and coping with having to move away from NY. Any links or other help would be great. Thanks.
There are lots of resources for military spouses (but, unless you guys are really serious, I probably wouldn't have her read through all the military spouse stuff on the web, just wouldn't be so necessary at this point if you guys aren't planning on getting hitched anytime soon).

There are even more resources once you go on Active duty and get assigned somewhere. Sethco pointed out many of the big ones.

When you move somewhere with your family to a place where everyone else has moved to with out family, you make a lot of really good friends really quickly. Aside from the deployments, I think most spouses really enjoy being a part of the military community. If you are married or getting married (and plan on staying married), your spouse should be on board with your decision to sign up.

My wife and I have a better relationship I think because we are not near our family and rely on each other more. There are also less things competing for our free time. When I went TDY, deployed, or had other big things coming up with work, she would buy a plane ticket and fly home for a week or so. It wasn't a big deal. Web Cam, telephone, etc...all have allowed us to stay in touch with our families as well.

Anyway, here is a good website for your S.O. and for yourself as well

http://www.military.com/spouse/fs

There are a bunch of branch specific external links at the bottom of this page as well, like "myarmylifetoo.com" with good stuff for families.

chillin691

Living the dream...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Congratulations on your acceptance to LECOM.

The biggest key to success, in my opinion, is having as little baggage as possible. Having a girl who is being a Negative Nelly is some heavy baggage and will not be welcome when you're trying to remember the stupid brachial plexus. If you're considering her for a wife, congratulations for that as well. I would have a very close and sincere conversation, (a heart-to-heart), and discuss all of your feelings about this. Ask her how you can help her warm up to the idea of moving around.

The advice I have gotten from almost every single retired officer or NCO is that you must change your mentality about the cons of military life. There are certain things that will never be a good experience, i.e. PSD. However, you get to move around, on someone else's tab, and see the country. People in your hometown have only a couple of traditions. Those traditions usually involve drinking at the local bar and drinking at someone's house.

My babble will end with this advice... "The 2 best bases to be stationed is the one you just came from and the one you are going to." Nothing's perfect. Make the most of it.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
www.whitecoatinvestor.com
Status
Attending Physician
You better decide now which is more important to you, this girl or being in the military. There are other ways to do med school that don't require the sacrifice of the girl. It is pretty darn hard to "warm someone up" to the idea that you're going to move her to another part of the world while she has a toddler, an infant, and is 3 months pregnant while you are in Afghanistan for 8 months. If she's balking at just the moving part....you ain't seen nothing yet.

If you haven't started school yet, you can still get out of the contract.

Gatorman

10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
Bradenton, FL
Status
Medical Student
From one LECOM student to another, welcome! (Though, I'm at the Bradenton branch).

At any rate, I can sympathize with you. I went through the same problem with my girlfriend (and now fiance). When we first met, we talked about how I was interested in medicine and the military, as well. My father was a career Naval Aviator (To quote Tom Wolfe...they're called Aviator's in the Navy...they say they're better than pilots!) for 30 years and I enjoyed the lifestyle (albeit it had its ups and downs here and there...but what career/lifestyle doesn't?). Because of this, my mind was set and I wanted to continue my career in the military, as the Navy was good to my family and me.

As we started to become more serious in our relationship, she was not so thrilled when it came time for me to apply to medical school. First, she was not so hot on me wanting to be a doctor. In fact, she was very against it (for reasons from personal experiences of her own). On top of that, our discussions became more heated when it came to the Navy. She did not want to be apart of a lifestyle in which she was regulated constantly. Her idea was a little more drastic than the reality, but she was set in her ways. I laid out the pros and cons for her and told her my opinions and why I chose to do so.

It came down to a personal ultimatum. Despite all the arguments, I told her that I was applying and if I was admitted to school I'd accept a Navy HPSP scholarship. While that seems brash, I thought about it in this way: if she loves me, really and truly loves me and is serious about our relationship, she will be excited at this new possibility and give it a chance. If she refuses it and says "it's me or your career," then she wasn't worth it. It was not fair for me to be put in such a position, as I would not do that do her. You should never be forced to make that decision or restricted in your decisions. In a healthy relationship, there should be compromise and support for each other. I loved her, and let her make the decision in this regard. I was going on with my career and what I wanted to do since I was a child. I was willing to compromise, but not sacrifice my dream of a medical career and desire to serve in the military. She could come along with me and we'd progress on with our lives together, as well, or she had every right to say, "I think it's best that we part ways" and move on with her life. It was her choice.

Needless to say, she's my fiancé now and looking forward to what's ahead. We have compromised, as I've said. When my commitment time is completed, we have decided to go back, review my career at that point (pros vs. cons) and decide whether to go career miltary, or get out.

So my advice to you is to really let this be her decision. If she is truly serious about your relationship, then, she'll be on board for the ride. If not, it's probably for the best, anyway, and you'll find someone better. Hopefully, she'll just be hesitant, like my fiancé was, because she's afraid of the unknown and a lifestyle most people do not know about. Talk it out with her and then let her decide on her own. Enjoy your time with her, enjoy your relationship, but above all, don't sacrifice your dream. I would not have put that sort of pressure on my fiancé, if I was in her shoes.

Hope this helps. As for LECOM, I have my own opinions about it, but...that's an entirely different discussion!

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I've said it about 100 times on here already, but it still is worth repeating...

My wife gave me the choice between her and the army. I picked her, was pissed at her for awhile... until I got an email that the guy who replaced me in the BN was killed by an IED.

Women, do you really think the species would have survived this long without them ?

AF_PedsBoy

Stuffed Animal Overlord
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Japan
Status
Attending Physician
The deal breaker will likely come long before you go AD- I mean look at medical school: Two years where you're spending at LEAST 9-10 hours a day in lecture not to mention all the nights you're either studying OR cramming depending on your style. Two years where you're working 50-100 hours a week, and if you're like me switching locations every 1-3 months (hey! that was like practice PCSing for me! I got to tour Erie, Wilkes-Barre, Pittsburgh, and Wright-Patt in Ohio along with all the hospitals in Philly!). Then 3-5 years where you're working 80-100 hours a week AND you have no friends (or at least fewer than in medical school) (or if you're unpopular like me, LITERALLY!) Trust me, if she makes it through 7-9 years on that schedule, you have at LEAST a 50% chance of her staying together with you when you start PCSing! :laugh:

notdeadyet

Still in California
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I mean look at medical school: Two years where you're spending at LEAST 9-10 hours a day in lecture
Yikes! Where did you got to medical school? Most folks I know don't have more than 4-5 hours of lecture/day. I avoided applying to any schools that had 9-5 curriculum, and there weren't many.
not to mention all the nights you're either studying OR cramming depending on your style.
Or both for us mental midgets.

bustbones26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Yikes! Where did you got to medical school? Most folks I know don't have more than 4-5 hours of lecture/day. I avoided applying to any schools that had 9-5 curriculum, and there weren't many.

Or both for us mental midgets.
Welcome to LECOM! The 9-5 schedule is what they attempted to enforce when I was there.

notdeadyet

Still in California
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Welcome to LECOM! The 9-5 schedule is what they attempted to enforce when I was there.
God, that's a throwback. With that much class, who can find the time to learn medicine...

Is LECOM the one where you also have to wear a suit and white coat to school everyday as well? Or am I confusing that with another school? Can't think of the name, but I'm pretty sure it was DO...

Gatorman

10+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
Bradenton, FL
Status
Medical Student
God, that's a throwback. With that much class, who can find the time to learn medicine...

Is LECOM the one where you also have to wear a suit and white coat to school everyday as well? Or am I confusing that with another school? Can't think of the name, but I'm pretty sure it was DO...
Nope. That's LECOM, allright....at least LECOM-Bradenton. One of our deans insists that we show professionalism, thus the shirt and tie. If there is any deviation from that for a guy, you are sent home; though the women can come in wearing gym clothes..go figure! I think Erie is the same way. You don't have to wear a suit, but you have to wear a shirt and tie every day and your white coat on certain test days. It makes it a little more comfortable when you wear your uniform every now and again.

sethco

15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Gatorman,

Not to be too critical of your post, but wouldn't a more comparable compromise of been: "We agree that I will go to med school, but will delay joining the military for the time being"?

Consider it from her standpoint: She will most likely be moving away from family and friends to a place where she doesn't know anybody, may have a hard time finding a job, and may have to put her career/education on hold. All for YOU. What does it say about you when you say "If she loves me...and is serious about our relationship...she would give it a chance. If she refuses...she wasn't worth it."? And you think this way about the person you are going to marry??? Why isn't it the other way around (i.e. If you really loved her, you wouldn't join the military)?

Given all this, she may become bitter and resentful over the time to the point where your relationship becomes strained. At the end of your ADSC, I really hope (for your marriage and possible children's sake) that you really pay close attention and that you really compromise that time (and when I say compromise, I mean you do what she wants this time). There is a good reason why the divorce rate is so high in this country and the military.

I am just trying to provide an alternate viewpoint. In fact, most of this post is coming from my wife, who is an Active Duty-Full Time Wife, who has a law degree but will not get barred in the state to which we PCSed because we will only be there for 4 years. So, essentially, she is putting her career on hold for me. You better believe that after I am done my minimal ADSC and finished my residency, she will have first choice where we end up going. I am very appreciative for how much she has sacrificed and it is the least I can do.

If I came off insulting or offensive, it was not my intention. I wish you the best of luck during your career.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Ft. Gordon, GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Gatorman,

Not to be too critical of your post, but wouldn't a more comparable compromise of been: "We agree that I will go to med school, but will delay joining the military for the time being"?

Consider it from her standpoint: She will most likely be moving away from family and friends to a place where she doesn't know anybody, may have a hard time finding a job, and may have to put her career/education on hold. All for YOU. What does it say about you when you say "If she loves me...and is serious about our relationship...she would give it a chance. If she refuses...she wasn't worth it."? And you think this way about the person you are going to marry??? Why isn't it the other way around (i.e. If you really loved her, you wouldn't join the military)?

Given all this, she may become bitter and resentful over the time to the point where your relationship becomes strained. At the end of your ADSC, I really hope (for your marriage and possible children's sake) that you really pay close attention and that you really compromise that time (and when I say compromise, I mean you do what she wants this time). There is a good reason why the divorce rate is so high in this country and the military.

I am just trying to provide an alternate viewpoint. In fact, most of this post is coming from my wife, who is an Active Duty-Full Time Wife, who has a law degree but will not get barred in the state to which we PCSed because we will only be there for 4 years. So, essentially, she is putting her career on hold for me. You better believe that after I am done my minimal ADSC and finished my residency, she will have first choice where we end up going. I am very appreciative for how much she has sacrificed and it is the least I can do.

If I came off insulting or offensive, it was not my intention. I wish you the best of luck during your career.
I agree with gatorman--full disclosure from the start (first date!) about the military plan. If she stays with it, great. If not, she wasn't the one. I am career and 20 years from now, if my wife wants to move somewhere specifically, I will probably do what you are suggesting, but she went into it with eyes wide open. She wears "I love my soldier" t-shirts, has the stickers on her car, the whole thing. The Army is a very big part of me, and it was before I met her.

Mirror Form

Thyroid Storm
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician

Given all this, she may become bitter and resentful over the time to the point where your relationship becomes strained.
It will also give her a great way to justify cheating on him when he's deployed for 6 months. I recommend paternity tests.

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
It will also give her a great way to justify cheating on him when he's deployed for 6 months. I recommend paternity tests.
Another good fairy tale ruined by a damned eye witness sounds like:smuggrin:

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I agree with gatorman--full disclosure from the start (first date!) about the military plan. If she stays with it, great. If not, she wasn't the one. I am career and 20 years from now, if my wife wants to move somewhere specifically, I will probably do what you are suggesting, but she went into it with eyes wide open. She wears "I love my soldier" t-shirts, has the stickers on her car, the whole thing. The Army is a very big part of me, and it was before I met her.
I had an army wife roll in with an " I (heart) my soldier" bumper sticker.

She hit the trifecta that day: GC, Chlamydia, and Trich.

Of course, totally all my fault for lack of bedside manner in dropping the bomb on her. this was before 1-800-flowers, so I really don't think I was totally to blame that day.

jam224

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2008
Status
I was wondering what resouces were available for her to get a look at what life will be like as a military wife and coping with having to move away from NY. Any links or other help would be great. Thanks.
I can't think of anything specifically that would give her a good indicator of what life as a military wife will be like. Military.com (previously mentioned) is a good web site for resources in general, as is Military One Source (Military Spouses page). There's a lot to learn, but I think a lot of it is "on-the-job" kind of training, where you learn as you go. :)

As for coping? Probably trying to meet new people as soon as possible (while also keeping in touch with family and old friends, of course) and staying busy with a job/hobbies is the best advice. It's hard to feel down in the dumps when you've got a great support system around you and something to keep to keep you busy.

Good luck.

sethco

15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
As the Bud commercials use to say (Or was it miller lite?):

"Man, that's cold!!!!!!!"

sethco

15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
I had an army wife roll in with an " I (heart) my soldier" bumper sticker.

She hit the trifecta that day: GC, Chlamydia, and Trich.

Of course, totally all my fault for lack of bedside manner in dropping the bomb on her. this was before 1-800-flowers, so I really don't think I was totally to blame that day.
I guess her bumper sticker then should read "I (heart) my soldiers"

I once had a married couple come in both with Trichomoniasis that swore up and down that they have never had sex with anyway other than each other (at least since they were married for the past couple of years). I gave them Metro 2 g each and told them to get out my clinic :laugh:

BomberDoc

ex-BomberDoc
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
rectum, damn near killed 'em
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Deployments equal lots of sex for married folks. The spouse staying home gets to bang someone new for a while and the deployed military member has either the local prostitutes or the other military members (pun intended). Deployed females have it the best. They were known as Deployment Nines. These were girls that nobody would look at back home, but when there are 1000 men and 50 women, every girl is at least a 9. Some of them got preggo and promptly got sent home. The rest got GC, Chlam, etc and spread it around the camp. Awesome.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Ft. Gordon, GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whoa, back the trolley up there! I will NEVER cheat on my husband. Just because you're on deployment, that doesn't give you the right to cheat.
Good for you. Neither will I. Don't buy all the "Temorarily Divorced for a Year (TDY)" crap. The vast majority of military members are pretty wholesome, without all the drama. I know of some people who have engaged in all that, but they all had the Axis II dramatic style to their personalities already. Of all the friends I have who have been deployed, we stuck it out right next to their spouses left behind, supported them, their kids and before you knew it, the deployment was over and the soldier was home. Us grownups think all that stuff is silly.

jam224

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2008
Status
Not saying it is OK and not saying I participated. Just relaying the experience I saw with my own two eyes.
That's fine; I understand that some people cheat. I just didn't want the OP to think that cheating was OK/expected/the norm in the military.

Heeed!

On target, On time!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2003
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
Status
You better decide now which is more important to you, this girl or being in the military. There are other ways to do med school that don't require the sacrifice of the girl. It is pretty darn hard to "warm someone up" to the idea that you're going to move her to another part of the world while she has a toddler, an infant, and is 3 months pregnant while you are in Afghanistan for 8 months. If she's balking at just the moving part....you ain't seen nothing yet.

If you haven't started school yet, you can still get out of the contract.
Concur.

If the thought of moving is already difficult for your girlfriend, either your relationship with her or your relationship with the military has got to change. There is so much extra crap you'll have to deal with, and so will she, that moving becomes the least of your concerns. If that's a huge deal now, it's only going to get worse. So, you've got some big, life-altering decisions to make.

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Deployments equal lots of sex for married folks. The spouse staying home gets to bang someone new for a while and the deployed military member has either the local prostitutes or the other military members (pun intended). Deployed females have it the best. They were known as Deployment Nines. These were girls that nobody would look at back home, but when there are 1000 men and 50 women, every girl is at least a 9. Some of them got preggo and promptly got sent home. The rest got GC, Chlam, etc and spread it around the camp. Awesome.
We used to call them queen for a year and I delighted in making life harsh for them at every turn. I became so totally fed up attending to this crap, I was more than happy to give up my soft rear area job to push fwd to an all male unit. In the Avn Support Bn and HHC I took care of, about 75% percent of 'em were borderlines.

I'll admit it, I really got a sadistic charge out of watching the blood run out of their face when I gave them a crappy detail... just like any other hillbilly from Arkansas.

I once even had a female 35 year old E-2 rub up against me at a Soju kettle joint outside the gate and suggest that we were were nearly the same age, so we were really kinda like buddies and peers. She went on to suggest that I give her a profile to get her out of PT.

I looked that skank right in the eye and told her If she were that physically broken, I'd see to it she were boarded out with a 0% disablity rating and she goes back to the truck stop the recruiter found her in.

Let's all be honest, if you are an enlisted female (and some officers) you must have already been living on the margins of society from some rust belt turd pile to begin with.

6 months ago, her social circle was pimps, junkies, and whores, now her only social circle is inside the camp with your husband. She thinks he's god, hell, he thinks he's God. that's a lotta hero worship to resist after your deployment is extended for the 3rd time.

Trust me when I tell you, overseas, you start to fall into some kind of a suspended animation, time-warp, freak show, after awhile, you start getting demoralized, feeling as if there is no end, so what the hell. You don't even know what it's like to live in normal society anymore. Everything goes back to prison rules.

That's why I don't think females have any business anywhere near males in the army. Ok, let me have it now.

73BARMYPgsp

Post Doc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Ft. Gordon, GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We used to call them queen for a year and I delighted in making life harsh for them at every turn. I became so totally fed up attending to this crap, I was more than happy to give up my soft rear area job to push fwd to an all male unit. In the Avn Support Bn and HHC I took care of, about 75% percent of 'em were borderlines.

I'll admit it, I really got a sadistic charge out of watching the blood run out of their face when I gave them a crappy detail... just like any other hillbilly from Arkansas.

I once even had a female 35 year old E-2 rub up against me at a Soju kettle joint outside the gate and suggest that we were were nearly the same age, so we were really kinda like buddies and peers. She went on to suggest that I give her a profile to get her out of PT.

I looked that skank right in the eye and told her If she were that physically broken, I'd see to it she were boarded out with a 0% disablity rating and she goes back to the truck stop the recruiter found her in.

Let's all be honest, if you are an enlisted female (and some officers) you must have already been living on the margins of society from some rust belt turd pile to begin with.

6 months ago, her social circle was pimps, junkies, and whores, now her only social circle is inside the camp with your husband. She thinks he's god, hell, he thinks he's God. that's a lotta hero worship to resist after your deployment is extended for the 3rd time.

Trust me when I tell you, overseas, you start to fall into some kind of a suspended animation, time-warp, freak show, after awhile, you start getting demoralized, feeling as if there is no end, so what the hell. You don't even know what it's like to live in normal society anymore. Everything goes back to prison rules.

That's why I don't think females have any business anywhere near males in the army. Ok, let me have it now.
Although I don't agree with every word of your post, to the part about enlisted females (in GENERAL--for the folks who never figured out how this concept works) I say preach it brother. You are simply saying what everyone already knows but is afraid to say. No PC from you--excellent.

The White Coat Investor

Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
You are simply saying what everyone already knows but is afraid to say. No PC from you--excellent.
I disagree. I work with and deployed with many excellent female enlisted folk. Few of them come from the upper or upper middle class, but few of them are scum.

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I disagree. I work with and deployed with many excellent female enlisted folk. Few of them come from the upper or upper middle class, but few of them are scum.
What kind of a unit are you in. I usually get the same story about how great Korea is.... from downtown Seoul.

go to you tube sometime and see what what a barracks rape looks like 6 hours prior to the event

The White Coat Investor

Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
What kind of a unit are you in. I usually get the same story about how great Korea is.... from downtown Seoul.

go to you tube sometime and see what what a barracks rape looks like 6 hours prior to the event
I'm in a med group. Last I checked this is the student DOCTOR forums. What unit are you in? Most of the rapes I see are 6 hours after the event and I don't spend my time on You Tube searching "barracks rape." But thanks for sharing.

elderjack21

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
That's fine; I understand that some people cheat. I just didn't want the OP to think that cheating was OK/expected/the norm in the military.
It isn't any more the norm in the military than it is in a similar group of civilian folks. No one should fool themselves into thinking that the military holds a monopoly on immorality. It just happens that everyone else is in each other’s business more in the military…and when you are around the same people as much as you are when you are deployed you hear way more than you need to about everything.

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I'm in a med group. Last I checked this is the student DOCTOR forums. What unit are you in? Most of the rapes I see are 6 hours after the event and I don't spend my time on You Tube searching "barracks rape." But thanks for sharing.
I referred you to Youtube, because you are obviously living in the sheltered world of the BOQ and prefer to remain blissfully ignorant of the freak show that goes on when the sun goes down in the barracks.

Stay on the outside looking in, it's the only way to maintain that sense of superiority.

BTW, I've pulled time in 2ID, 1CAV, 85th Med Bn (MASH),32AADCOM Germany clear back to the
80's. I was former enlisted, and you obviously aren't.

Stay where you are. You are safe there.

The White Coat Investor

Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
I referred you to Youtube, because you are obviously living in the sheltered world of the BOQ and prefer to remain blissfully ignorant of the freak show that goes on when the sun goes down in the barracks.

Stay on the outside looking in, it's the only way to maintain that sense of superiority.

BTW, I've pulled time in 2ID, 1CAV, 85th Med Bn (MASH),32AADCOM Germany clear back to the
80's. I was former enlisted, and you obviously aren't.

Stay where you are. You are safe there.
I'll be the first to admit I don't spend any time in the barracks (or the BOQ for that matter.) Where the hell do you think military docs live? And last I checked officers WERE considered superior in the military so go on back to YouTube and knock yourself out looking for rape videos in the freak show that is your (and apparently everyone else's) reality.

Am I the only one here who doesn't look for rape videos on YouTube in my spare time?

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
I'll be the first to admit I don't spend any time in the barracks (or the BOQ for that matter.) Where the hell do you think military docs live? And last I checked officers WERE considered superior in the military so go on back to YouTube and knock yourself out looking for rape videos in the freak show that is your (and apparently everyone else's) reality.

Am I the only one here who doesn't look for rape videos on YouTube in my spare time?
Thanks for your honesty and your reply. You are not superior; you're a freakin GI, just like every other Joe with a case of jock itch in a pair of boots. Sorry. They lied to you at Ft. Sam

Come on, you really don't believe all that do you? Your case begs the rationale for continued use of GMO before residency.

You're not behind this bit of self-righteous crap are you?

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,167090,00.html

Where did you get your training; The Major Frank Burns institute of Military Medicine?

Look bud, I'm trying to do you a favor here. Never get between a GI and his dope, his liquor, his porn, and his whores. It's the way things work since 1775 and it wins wars.

The only reason females should stay deployed is because the limited availability of hookers is probably in the critical stage and females inside the wire help fill that void for now.

Thanks for playing, but what you're doing isn't really a game.

med145

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2008
Deep South
Status
Medical Student
Look bud, I’m trying to do you a favor here. Never get between a GI and his dope, his liquor, his porn, and his whores. It’s the way things work since 1775 and it wins wars.

The only reason females should stay deployed is because the limited availability of hookers is probably in the critical stage and females inside the wire help fill that void for now.
Yikes! :scared:

The White Coat Investor

Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
You're not behind this bit of self-righteous crap are you?

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,167090,00.html

Look bud, I’m trying to do you a favor here. Never get between a GI and his dope, his liquor, his porn, and his whores. It’s the way things work since 1775 and it wins wars..
"Status: Non-student" pretty much says it all. Porn and liquor may win wars (although I doubt it), but it tears apart the families holding the military and this nation together. I for one am sick of taking care of all the STDs, domestic abuse, child abuse and unwanted pregnancies I see from folks who think like you. Your comments are ridiculous and if that is the way "the real military" is, then I'll be glad not to be associated with it as soon as my commitment is up.

BlueIsis

Blue
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 12, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Virtually speechless. So putting ordnance on target, on time didn't count because I have two x chromosomes?

OP
Milamber

Milamber

Grand Poomba
10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Wow... I didn't realize that this thread would have gone so far from what I intended. I thank everyone for their useful advice but to those who took it to the gutter and flushed it into the toliet shame on you.

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Virtually speechless. So putting ordnance on target, on time didn't count because I have two x chromosomes?
You said it best " Virtual " which is not the same as " actual " You weren't really buying all the crap these lifers are telling you about how great you are do you ? they're just trying to keep their job and get their 20 in.

Females co-located with males is something we all just have to put up with...
sorta like a beer machine in the enlisted barracks... no good will come of it, no matter how big the pad lock is you put on it.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
You said it best " Virtual " which is not the same as " actual " You weren't really buying all the crap these lifers are telling you about how great you are do you ? they're just trying to keep their job and get their 20 in.

Females co-located with males is something we all just have to put up with...
sorta like a beer machine in the enlisted barracks... no good will come of it, no matter how big the pad lock is you put on it.
You can play the role of crusty hardcore infantry PA all you want. It might even impress some people, but your misogyny is getting offensive. Why don't you quit, before you expose yourself as a total ass?

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
You can play the role of crusty hardcore infantry PA all you want. It might even impress some people, but your misogyny is getting offensive. Why don't you quit, before you expose yourself as a total ass?
Since this thread was about a guy trying to talk his girlfriend from throwing her life away in this goat rope... I suggest another method that really works.

Ask to do a summer backfill in 2ID this summer. It's a nice safe gig and it's still in the last throws of the old army.

Drag your lovely intended with you. Have her shack up with you in quarters in one of the camps. Yeah they let you do that now. Take her out on a couple of date nights at the midget show at Toko-Ri, that is of course after she clears the female officer at the gate they post, making sure she's leaving the camp with enough clothes on. If you don't feel like leaving the safety of the gate, you can always hang around the all-ranks club till closing hour and you might get to catch a little male on male rape of a drunk private.. boy's gotta learn somehow you know.

If your little prom queen still wants to marry you after a front row seat to the biggest sleeze-fest this side of Sodom and Gomorrah, you've got a real keeper there.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 26, 2004
Unfathomable
Status
Medical Student
Since this thread was about a guy trying to talk his girlfriend from throwing her life away in this goat rope... I suggest another method that really works.

Ask to do a summer backfill in 2ID this summer. It's a nice safe gig and it's still in the last throws of the old army.

Drag your lovely intended with you. Have her shack up with you in quarters in one of the camps. Yeah they let you do that now. Take her out on a couple of date nights at the midget show at Toko-Ri, that is of course after she clears the female officer at the gate they post, making sure she's leaving the camp with enough clothes on. If you don't feel like leaving the safety of the gate, you can always hang around the all-ranks club till closing hour and you might get to catch a little male on male rape of a drunk private.. boy's gotta learn somehow you know.

If your little prom queen still wants to marry you after a front row seat to the biggest sleeze-fest this side of Sodom and Gomorrah, you've got a real keeper there.
What was this thread about? Do you even know what the OP was looking for? He was trying to teach his gf about the military because she was opposed.

As for the rest, I think you need to cut back on your drinking. Too much soju?

elderjack21

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think Korea is a great example of what military life is like for a spouse. Last I checked, most of the people that go to Korea by choice think they are avoiding the war (oh the complaints when some of 2ID actually went to Iraq), many of them are also going there because they are drawn by some of the stories you are sharing. We should have left there years ago, but that is another debate completely. Oh how I hated going to UFL...

If you take a cross section of America by race/socio-economic background/education level and then compared it to the same demographic in the military, I think you would find the same types of things going on in both groups in similar numbers.

Heck, just go to a frat house on any weekend at any college campus and see what goes on there...it will look just like the barracks do on a weekend. Only difference is the kids at the frat house won't get in trouble for what they do since they have rich parents and good lawyers, whereas the guys at the barracks will get an Article 15.

alpha62

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Non-Student
Coulda, woulda, shoulda, If only you could pick and choose where you're going to be assigned. Those days are over for good.

We'll be in Iraq for 50 years. I'd give it another 5 years and the Russian Mob will have moved in and we'll all be treating Russian ex-hookers now dependent wives with ID cards.

Cuse me for airing our dirty laundry, it's all true though and it's coming to a Husband, Brother, or Uncle near you sweetheart.

Why does talking about this military fact of life make some people so uncomfortable ? Or do you use the words " poopie" for defecate or "peepee" for urinate with your pts too ?