Adleaide vs. Sydney for Indians

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seth2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this topic has been discussed before, but I am looking at this comparison from the perspective of an Indian. What city is better for Indians? Sydney or Adelaide? I know Australia is a progressive country today, and there is nothing to be concerned about. But I have read many things about Australia's past that kind of concern me (such as the white immigrants only policy that was removed about twenty-five years ago). I know that government policy has changed, but sometimes it takes the local people longer to change than the government policy---this is why I am concerned. Will Indians face discrimination in Australia? I know lots of Indians live in Australia, but I don't know how they are treated. Can anyone compare these two cities in this regard? I would especially like to know about Adelaide since the city is smaller (and other people on this board have described Adelaide as a white city). I would also appreciate any comments on Sydney. I know that this is not something that people should be that worried about in this century, but this is a real concern considering I will live there for 3.5 years at least, so I could really use any advice that anyone has regarding this subject. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm of Indian origign, and at the med school in Brisbane. From people I've spoken to in Syd and Mel, everyone considers Bris to be the most 'redneck' (their words, not mine!) and I've yet to have a single problem in any regard. Can't speak for Adelaide, but obviously Sydney is a much more diverse city.

Kim,
can you please give your opinion on the diversity in Adelaide. Also, is it possible to get a job in Adelaide (within the university or outside) and how much pay can be expected from such part-time jobs. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO Adelaide is much less diverse than Sydney or most large size US cities. Not being an ethnic minority it would be difficult for me to say how much racism is present and the effect it would have on you.

It IS possible to get a job in Adelaide, but can be rather difficult for those over the age of 21. Reason being that employers can hire a teenager to do the same job for less and since customer service is not a popular concept in Australia, why bother paying more for someone over the age of 21? You will most likely be restricted to "casual" jobs - ie, clerks, waiter, child care, etc. Every now and again a university research job crops up, but most professional positions will go to Australian natives.

The minimum wage is a fair bit higher than in the US - when I was there it was around $15.00 AUD a hour (which at the time translated to about $12.00 USD per hour). I would not plan on getting enough hours to substantially reduce your debt load while in school.

Seth

Yes, I agree with the others. Adelaide is a nice little City, from my 2 wk holiday experience. But, Sydney is getting more and more colorful, so I would go for Sydney if I were you.