Administrator Here from St. John Fisher College, Rochester NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InsiderSJFC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After stumbling across this board, I have joined as an administrator from the Wegmans School of Pharmacy at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, NY.

Effective Monday, January 22, we will begin contacting students who will be granted an interview. We will also begin sending out letters to some students who do not meet the grade point averages and will not be able to be interviewed.

We will begin with the highest scores based on our criteria and move our way through the process.

At St. John Fisher, the process does take us a while. Last year, we interviewed only FOUR students per day. We have 55 students in our charter class.

There will be 65 students accepted into the Class of 2011.

We realize that this is a time full of anxiety for students. At anytime, please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions and we will get back to you within 24 hours.

In November, we held an Open House and had 500 prospective students, families and guests in attendance.

We are committed to choosing the best well rounded students overall for our program.

Interviews will last fom 8:30 through 3:00 and lunch is provided.

We wish you the very best in your academic endeavors.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, thank you so much for making this information accessible to all of us on this forum. It definitely sets me at ease and I'm sure other people on this forum appreciate it as well. :)

I will stay around my phone from Monday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Mr./Ms. LurkeratSJFC,

Would you be able to give us applicants some advice? What would be something you could tell us that your school specifically looks for in a student during the interview process? Maybe not just your school specifically, but in general? Any tips, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

BTW LurkeratSJFC do u know how many people applied this year. Thanks in advance for ur response

I will stay around my phone from Monday.

Just to clarify that we will begin making calls on that day. Please remember that the application deadline and submission of all materials for SJFC is March 1.

Dear Mr./Ms. LurkeratSJFC,

Would you be able to give us applicants some advice? What would be something you could tell us that your school specifically looks for in a student during the interview process? Maybe not just your school specifically, but in general? Any tips, hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

I can not give specifics, but at SJFC, the reason for the full day session is for us to look closely at the applicant and for the applicant to look closely at us. Out biggest concern is a good fit all around.

I would definitely mention to folks to check out the program closely of the schools you are intervieiwing for, dress properly and think before you answer questions.

Best of luck.

BTW LurkeratSJFC do u know how many people applied this year. Thanks in advance for ur response

Since the deadline is March 1, I am not sure what the total will be. We do not provide numbers publically until the deadline has passed.

For the charter class, 268 people completed (sent in ALL materials) for admission. Many more sent in items, but did not complete the process.

Three students turned us down for an interview because they had already gotten in to the program of their choice.

Four students turned us down after interviewing with us and receiving an offer of admission as they were accepted into their first choice of programs AFTER our interview.

One person declined admission after paying the nonrefundable deposit.

I hope that this information helps.

I have just read an above post that someone wrote about 'Lurkers.'

I am also a member of a national travel board and many of the airlines and hotel companies have "Official Lurkers" who readily identify themselves. The term lurker on the travel board has no negative connotation whatsoever - and identifies the individual as an insider to be honest.

I stay very busy, and in my profession, we have to develop thick skin. It is hard to please students - in fact - in my opinion it is hardest to please pharmacy students - because they like - pharmacy faculty members - overall have 'obsessive-compulsive type personalities. And that is NOT a negative comment. We need that OCD characteristic in Pharmacy School - that's what pharmacists are paid for.lThey need to be 100% accurate.

As far as anyone on here being concerned about personal items they have written about themselves or against the program - I say do not worry. We have a lot more important things to do than to track people down and look up identifiers.

In fact, we have told our first year class, that diversity and difference of opinion is important and we WELCOME it at SJFC.

If you do not believe that - contact any of our students. We are a new program - and we are not perfect - but I can tell you that our students have been pleased with the rapid response to concerns or complaints that have been raised. I know this from the results of ANONYMOUS surveys and feedback.

My intentions of posting here was to be helpful to students and to improve communication and to help with the anxiety of the process. Not to be a snoop to be on a 'witch hunt' or 'fishing expedition.'

With all of that said, I hope that any concerns are alleviated by my explanation. Maybe 'Lurker' was a bad choice of screen names - but to me it meant something positive. I would be very surprised if other schools had people who were reading through here anonymously.

Finally, I encourage anyone with questions, concerns or comments to post them here or to prviate me or to write [email protected].

We are a different kind of program. Our motto is 'Students Come First' and I believe that if you ask any P-1 student you would hear that from them. In fact, our Assistant Dean's Official title is Assistant Dean for Student Affairs and Advocacy. He has been an advocate for all students.

Not to make this a sales pitch, but our program is student-centered and it shows.

Thanks for listening - and best wishes to all of you no matter where you are applying.

I apologize for my post coming off a certain way. I did not mean for it to have any negative connotations about you or the program involved. As I mentioned in my OP I think it is good for students to be able to interact with people such as yourself in a less intimidating way compared to on the phone or face to face. I suppose it did look like I was directing my comment at a specific target but that was not my intention.

Has anyone received any interview call from Wegman? I am just wondering.

Has anyone received any interview call from Wegman? I am just wondering.

Seems like quite a few people were sent interview invites today via phone calls from the received interview request thread.

wow only 60....

hm...i guess looking forward to this school is down the drain...

... we have been given permission to accept 65 - not 60.