Admission Committee Meetings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star2007

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which day the admissions committee meets at any particular school? I know that the committee at one school meets only on Wednesdays to review completed applications, but I'm not sure if this is the case for all schools.

Members don't see this ad.

You're right. Every school meets on Wednesday. It's a tradition dating back to the Romans where they get together amidst a room of leather-bound books that smell of rich mahogany. Wednesday's truly are the day where fortunes are won or lost.

Tiger26 said:
You're right. Every school meets on Wednesday. It's a tradition dating back to the Romans where they get together amidst a room of leather-bound books that smell of rich mahogany. Wednesday's truly are the day where fortunes are won or lost.

lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't imagine any school's committee meeting only one day per week, considering how many applications they receive. But hey, this is just speculation on my part.

adcoms almost seem like secret societies, filled with rumors of unique and secretive admissions algorithms and underground meetings.

Adcoms also smoke pipes and speak with a pseudo-British accent.

yupyup. that was a fine deduction my good friend.

Tiger26 said:

Agree. Everyone knows the patron God of adcoms is Woden. They offer up applicants as sacrifices to Woden every Wednesday (Woden's day) and whoever he picks is admitted. I hear residency directors are Thor worshipers, and only meet on Thursdays.

Law2Doc said:
Agree. Everyone knows the patron God of adcoms is Woden. They offer up applicants as sacrifices to Woden every Wednesday (Woden's day) and whoever he picks is admitted. I hear residency directors are Thor worshipers, and only meet on Thursdays.
Tuesdays, not Thursday
YES finally! Law2Doc is wrong! ;)

Actually, I know that post-interview, Temple's adcom meets every Friday to make decisions on acceptance and the other bad words.

Members don't see this ad :)
am i the only one who saw this as an ok question? if you look around, you will find other people saying, "well the adcom meets on wednesdays so they should be notifying people _____" or "the adcom meets only once a month so we'll hear something right after that."

sure, maybe it's a little obsessive, but it's definitely not a new question!

swim2md said:
Actually, I know that post-interview, Temple's adcom meets every Friday to make decisions on acceptance and the other bad words.

... Moreacceptances?

Robizzle said:
... Moreacceptances?

Haha, no, I would consider that to be a good word. Maybe we can say anti-acceptances to make it sound slightly nicer though?

star2007 said:
Does anyone know which day the admissions committee meets at any particular school? I know that the committee at one school meets only on Wednesdays to review completed applications, but I'm not sure if this is the case for all schools.

WHY DOES THIS MATTER??? Schools are VERY slow... expect a lot of waiting in your future.

LizzyM said:
Why do you care? Are you lighting votive candles?

If they meet on Wednesday, I have until Monday to send my peer letter (it will make it by Tuesday). I try to get everything in as soon as possible, but when I can’t or when it’s on someone else (in this case, my peer), I like to give them a day to shoot for.

star2007 said:
If they meet on Wednesday, I have until Monday to send my peer letter (it will make it by Tuesday). I try to get everything in as soon as possible, but when I can’t or when it’s on someone else (in this case, my peer), I like to give them a day to shoot for.

then, on tuesday, it will sit at the bottom of a pretty little pile that the adcoms probably won't reach on wednesday.

Reading applications is like grading papers... it is not done at a meeting. It is done on one's own time and a recommendation (interview or no interview) is written and submitted to the Admissions office. Invitations to interview are issued in batches but there is no "meeting date" to shoot for, as far as I know.

Robizzle said:
then, on tuesday, it will sit at the bottom of a pretty little pile that the adcoms probably won't reach on wednesday.

Maybe, maybe not. Some schools reply really quickly. My letters were received at SLU and posted on the status page the same day. My point is to give her a day to shoot for, instead of just telling her to mail it. Some people take a lot longer if they are not given a dead-line.

Robizzle said:

No way -- it will never make it into the file that quick. It will be in someone's "to be filed" box for at least a few more days.

Law2Doc said:
No way -- it will never make it into the file that quick. It will be in someone's "to be filed" box for at least a few more days.

I guess they just checked "received" next to my professor's name, 3 days after he told me he mailed it, for the fun of it.

star2007 said:
I guess they just checked "received" next to my professor's name, 3 days after he told me he mailed it, for the fun of it.

that's just pure luck and don't think this will happen for everything. we're on your side man we're just letting you know that it's extremely hard to time these things perfectly. LizzyM is actually a member of an admissions committee so if you are looking for advice, hers is probably the one to listen to.

as for your idea of giving your peer deadlines, that's a fine idea, but not for the right reasons in my opinion.

Just curious, but do any med schools list who is on their admissions committee? That way, i could pander my secondaries to their members ;)

LizzyM said:
Reading applications is like grading papers... it is not done at a meeting. It is done on one's own time and a recommendation (interview or no interview) is written and submitted to the Admissions office. Invitations to interview are issued in batches but there is no "meeting date" to shoot for, as far as I know.

I know (word from the school) of one school that does meet on Wednesday to review which applicants they will invite for an interview. I'm not saying this is for all schools. Also, according to the posts on interview invites, applicants are getting notices of complete applications one day and getting interviews a few days later.

braluk said:
Just curious, but do any med schools list who is on their admissions committee? That way, i could pander my secondaries to their members ;)

Very few schools give this information. I have seen it on a couple of sites.

star2007 said:

Doesn't mean it's in the file. Just that the secretary responsible for filing it entered it onto the computer. could still be in that inbox. you probably have never worked in a paper intensive office. :)

star2007 said:
I know (word from the school) of one school that does meet on Wednesday to review which applicants they will invite for an interview. I'm not saying this is for all schools. Also, according to the posts on interview invites, applicants are getting notices of complete applications one day and getting interviews a few days later.

That is very rare. Knowing that the sheer volume of applications coming in every day is gigantic will most likely mean that an applicant might not recieve interview invites a day after the "complete" sing pops up on the screen. It also depends on what school you apply to whether it is rolling admissions or not, the number of applicants each year to that school, how competitive it is, etc. If the med school recieved your recs and posted them on the web on the same day......consider yourself lucky that someone in the adcom office actually was able to do so, but as stated before, will most likely not happen in other schools. Adcom meetings range from once or twice a week. I wouldn't be surprised if they met more frequently early on in the application cycle. Just make sure that you are on top of your things, and check maybe a couple of days after you sent your stuff to the adcom that they recieved it, and then the waiting game starts for interviews and those awesome email/letter acceptance notices.

Good luck!

Robizzle said:
that's just pure luck and don't think this will happen for everything. we're on your side man we're just letting you know that it's extremely hard to time these things perfectly. LizzyM is actually a member of an admissions committee so if you are looking for advice, hers is probably the one to listen to.

as for your idea of giving your peer deadlines, that's a fine idea, but not for the right reasons in my opinion.

I know that it would depend on other things, such as # of apps the school receives, size of school, etc. How can using this day as a day to shoot for be for the wrong reason? I set goals for myself also when I receive secondaries. Some schools have deadlines during next year sometime, but I am definitely going to ask them to send it before then.

star2007 said:
I know that it would depend on other things, such as # of apps the school receives, size of school, etc. How can using this day as a day to shoot for be for the wrong reason? I set goals for myself also when I receive secondaries. Some schools have deadlines during next year sometime, but I am definitely going to ask them to send it before then.

Just pick a deadline that seems reasonable. I'd consider giving a professor less than 2 weeks notice for a letter of recommendation borders on being rude/looking like you don't have your stuff together. If it's a peer, you can probably ask him/her to do it in less time, but I would give at least a week out of courtesy.

DrLizzie said:
That is very rare. Knowing that the sheer volume of applications coming in every day is gigantic will most likely mean that an applicant might not recieve interview invites a day after the "complete" sing pops up on the screen. It also depends on what school you apply to whether it is rolling admissions or not, the number of applicants each year to that school, how competitive it is, etc. If the med school recieved your recs and posted them on the web on the same day......consider yourself lucky that someone in the adcom office actually was able to do so, but as stated before, will most likely not happen in other schools. Adcom meetings range from once or twice a week. I wouldn't be surprised if they met more frequently early on in the application cycle. Just make sure that you are on top of your things, and check maybe a couple of days after you sent your stuff to the adcom that they recieved it, and then the waiting game starts for interviews and those awesome email/letter acceptance notices.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.

ltrain said:
Just pick a deadline that seems reasonable. I'd consider giving a professor less than 2 weeks notice for a letter of recommendation borders on being rude/looking like you don't have your stuff together. If it's a peer, you can probably ask him/her to do it in less time, but I would give at least a week out of courtesy.

I was kind of shocked that my professors beat my peer in getting in the LOR. I read on a schools site that the peer letter is usually the letter that holds an application up, and they suggest checking with your peer before calling them.

star2007 said:

That is correct. It was just for the fun of it. Those admission folks are such jokesters. In reality, those checks are meaningless, just like the checks you sent out with your secondaries to schools who won't even give your application the time of day.

Some of these posts remind of women that have been through bad relationships: bitter, hopeless, and never have anything good to say. No, all men aren't dogs and all medical school aren't _. You fill in the blank.

Tiger26 said:

:laugh: