admission into residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If I have a 241 in Step 1, graduating from a DO school, what chances do I have to get into surgery

Members don't see this ad.

If I have a 241 in Step 1, graduating from a DO school, what chances do I have to get into surgery
Are you asking about general surgery? And ACGME, AOA, both? What was your COMLEX?

With a 241, good grades, strong letters, some research and aways at choice places, you should have a decent shot at ACGME gen surg programs that take DOs. But just know that the NRMP reports DO applicants having a 50% match rate into the field.

Assuming you have a similar COMLEX, your board scores won’t keep you from matching into an AOA program. Of course, ideally target programs with intial accreditation.

Good luck!

You have a better than average shot. That 50% data is true, however it includes all the applicants with no USMLE or below average USMLE.

The research, grades, aways are not nearly as important as the letters and the 241.