Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

admission needs

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by murph, Jul 16, 2002.

1. murph

murph Member
    7+ Year Member

I was just wondering what kinda gpa is needed for dental school and if the pre req's are simmilar to med school, and how selective dental schools are.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

4. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

5. racemic01

racemic01 Member
    7+ Year Member

Average GPAs range from 3.3-3.5 for most schools. The required classes are usually the same as for med school (orgo, physics etc). Dental schools select students on their stats, essays, letters or req, extras all similar to med school. The big differences are the DAT and dental exposure/volunteering.

6. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Every year dental school is getting more competitive. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see 10,000 applicants for 4,200 spots which is 42% acceptance whereas medical school has around a 50% acceptance rate 16,150/36,000 applicants.

DesiDentist

7. Kry

Kry cranky
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

42% to 45%, not 50%.

8. racemic01

racemic01 Member
    7+ Year Member

The percentage of accepted applicants may be an interesting statistic, but it isn't very useful. You certainly can't compare percentages between dental and medical school. Even if med schools did accept a higher percentage than dental schools, that certainly doesn't mean it is easier to get into med school. A 3.7 GPA would give you a great shot in getting into dental school whereas you may just be an average applicant for medical school. Just my .02

9. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Racemic has a great point. Perhaps 2,500 of those supposed 10,000 applicants have GPAs less than 3, mediocre DAT scores, and little or no observing/volunteer activities. Those 2500 are not good candidates and a relatively few of them would get accepted.

Looking at the numbers in the applicant pool must be combined with a detailed look at the average applicant -- and then compared to the average matriculant that dental schools seek.

I think many more "weak" candidates apply to dental school than to medical school under the premise that dental school is easier to gain entrance into.

-G

10. Ronny

Ronny Member
    7+ Year Member

Vixen, I think that link you posted is dead. Could you please update it? Thanks.