murph

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2002
Yakima, Wa
Visit site
Status
I was just wondering what kinda gpa is needed for dental school and if the pre req's are simmilar to med school, and how selective dental schools are.

About the Ads

racemic01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
Average GPAs range from 3.3-3.5 for most schools. The required classes are usually the same as for med school (orgo, physics etc). Dental schools select students on their stats, essays, letters or req, extras all similar to med school. The big differences are the DAT and dental exposure/volunteering.

DesiDentist

G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
Moderator Emeritus
Vendor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2001
Washington, DC
www.facebook.com
Status
Dentist
Every year dental school is getting more competitive. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see 10,000 applicants for 4,200 spots which is 42% acceptance whereas medical school has around a 50% acceptance rate 16,150/36,000 applicants.

DesiDentist

Kry

cranky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by DesiDentist
Every year dental school is getting more competitive. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised to see 10,000 applicants for 4,200 spots which is 42% acceptance whereas medical school has around a 50% acceptance rate 16,150/36,000 applicants.

DesiDentist

42% to 45%, not 50%.

racemic01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Status
The percentage of accepted applicants may be an interesting statistic, but it isn't very useful. You certainly can't compare percentages between dental and medical school. Even if med schools did accept a higher percentage than dental schools, that certainly doesn't mean it is easier to get into med school. A 3.7 GPA would give you a great shot in getting into dental school whereas you may just be an average applicant for medical school. Just my .02

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
Racemic has a great point. Perhaps 2,500 of those supposed 10,000 applicants have GPAs less than 3, mediocre DAT scores, and little or no observing/volunteer activities. Those 2500 are not good candidates and a relatively few of them would get accepted.

Looking at the numbers in the applicant pool must be combined with a detailed look at the average applicant -- and then compared to the average matriculant that dental schools seek.

I think many more "weak" candidates apply to dental school than to medical school under the premise that dental school is easier to gain entrance into.

-G

About the Ads