Admission preference for permanent residence/green card holders

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyperdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, My first post here , I am on a visa , I would like to know whether in colleges that accept international students(F1), is there preference given to green card holders over people like me, in the advanced standing program

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have what schools need then You definitely will get accepted regardless of your visa status. Also, most of the candidates getting accepted are the ones with F1/H1.:thumbup:

Hello, My first post here , I am on a visa , I would like to know whether in colleges that accept international students(F1), is there preference given to green card holders over people like me, in the advanced standing program

yes green card people are more preferred.

Are you talking about UMN PASS program?

i disagree. in my PASS class, 5 out of 10 of us are on visa's. so 50% doesn't seem like preference to me.

You also have to consider the fact that most of the applicants are on visas, way more than 50%. What about USA citizens, do they get any preference?

You also have to consider the fact that most of the applicants are on visas, way more than 50%. What about USA citizens, do they get any preference?

Well from my knowledge, the reason why some schools are adamant about only taking permanent residence/US citizens is because they don't want to go through the hassle of generating I-20s, they need resources to manage, most schools have a international office though. US citizens /permanent residence holders are pretty much the same, no visa issues.
I seen some schools saying they give more preference to the residents of that particular state

It matters strictly to some schools as you have to send them the copy of your greencard or US passport but it hardly matters for other schools. I myself have a greencard and didnt hear from any school in the last cycle, just try to improve your resume and give part 2 and have good toefl score. Thats what I am trying to do myself.

It matters strictly to some schools as you have to send them the copy of your greencard or US passport but it hardly matters for other schools. I myself have a greencard and didnt hear from any school in the last cycle, just try to improve your resume and give part 2 and have good toefl score. Thats what I am trying to do myself.

I completly agree with you, I thought in Chicago they take in 40 students all residents/citizens. Most residents aim for that school

I went to UIC open house and what they require and give most weightage is for part 2, now what else they can see, last year all the students getting into the program had part 2 and 70% of waiting list had part 2, so nothing can be done, best is study and clear the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well from my knowledge, the reason why some schools are adamant about only taking permanent residence/US citizens is because they don't want to go through the hassle of generating I-20s, they need resources to manage, most schools have a international office though. US citizens /permanent residence holders are pretty much the same, no visa issues.
I seen some schools saying they give more preference to the residents of that particular state

dont think if that is such a big deal. there are so many international students in so many programs at universities (engineering, science etc) that issuing an I20 is a standard procedure for all these students.

dont think if that is such a big deal. there are so many international students in so many programs at universities (engineering, science etc) that issuing an I20 is a standard procedure for all these students.

Yea I agree, i know many students on visas who has got admission, its no big deal. I was just curious hence the post

cannot stress enough on how many advantages a citizenship or gc makes. Right from stage of getting interview call to especially getting picked from the waitlist. No matter what lectures people give here ...it is not a level playing field for people on visa and gc/citizens...remember that. (obviously some people on visa are accepted...

respectfully disagree. i think that is incorrect to assume that a person with a certain immigration status gets preference. again, in my class 50% are on visas. the year previous to me, i think even more people are on visas. discussions i have had with persons at our school, and there is no preference given. I can only say this as I am observing this right now and this is viable proof that there is no preference. I am not sure what your sources are, but until or unless it is stated specifically on the website that there is preference given, a school cannot be baised on immigration status. Just like it cannot be biased based on religion and gender.
That is like assuming that my school has a preference for females just because there is only 1 guy in our class. It just means that there were better female candidates than males candidates of that cycle.
I really don't think it is prudent to have such speculations without hard evidence, since it does stress a lot of people out who come here for advice.

Here is an article on that matter, short answer is: Maybe
http://internationaldentistcentral.com/residency-status-does-it-matter/

i agree that certain schools do note on their website that they have a preference for US citizens and green cardholders. it can make a difference in those specific schools. however, i can speak for my own personal experience (since I do not have any status in the United States), that it did not prevent interview invitations and admission to schools which state that they do not have preference.

It didn't for me either - 5 schools, student visa, no part 2.
What I'm saying though is if you just think of how the whole thing works, yes it is possible that preference can be given to residents and citizens because that would eliminate all financial risks from the programs standpoint. There are plenty of visa holders that make it through, however, and that definitely should not hold you back from applying.

cant agree more....i just got accepted in nyu and almost all the people who were accepted from our interview batch were visa holders i have a green card ...however was put on waiting list and just got the acceptance recently......so bottom line it doesnt matter...to the schools which have this criteria they mention on thier website like UIC etc,and that also i feel might be for a reason like goverment funding or something.

Seems like there are 3 kind of schools:
1. Which allow only residents to apply. For eg, UIC.
2. Which gives preference to residents, but anyone can apply. For eg. VCU Richmond.
3. Which does not distinguish between candidates on basis of residency. For eg. BU.

It didn't for me either - 5 schools, student visa, no part 2.
What I'm saying though is if you just think of how the whole thing works, yes it is possible that preference can be given to residents and citizens because that would eliminate all financial risks from the programs standpoint. There are plenty of visa holders that make it through, however, and that definitely should not hold you back from applying.

Yes, I agree about the financial risk. But we just had a US green card holder drop out of our class this year, as she got late admission to a school that she could relocate to with her husband. Her husband could not relocate to my schools city as his company does not have an office here. Our school just lost out on over $200,000 and they couldnt take a student off waitlist since it was already a few weeks in. Therefore, high financial risk,is also a reality with people with people who have status in the US. It definitely does not eliminate ALL financial risk. But I definitely agree that the risk is more with visa holders.

1. Which allow only residents to apply. For eg, UIC.
2. Which gives preference to residents, but anyone can apply. For eg. VCU Richmond.
3. Which does not distinguish between candidates on basis of residency. For eg. BU.

Yes, that is exactly how I perceive it. And in m opinion, there are enough schools in the 3rd category for people not to get stressed out and fret about status. Just work hard and improve your résumé and stats! :)

1. Which allow only residents to apply. For eg, UIC,Tufts
2. Which gives preference to residents, but anyone can apply. For eg. VCU Richmond,UPenn,UMN, U.Pittsburgh.Newjersey
3. Which does not distinguish between candidates on basis of residency. For eg. BU,NYU,&Cali schools[/QUOTE]