Admission requirements

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Toejam, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Toejam

Toejam Terminal Student

How strict are the schools in enforcing the rules for admission? For instance, when they require you to have completed a certain class that falls outside the "normal" pre-med pre-reqs that everyone does. I'm going to complete two secondaries, but one school wants "Molecular Biology" or equivalent and the other wants calculus. I'm already a podiatrist and I've taken dozens of advanced science courses, but neither of those.

What do you think?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

It varies from school to school. Call and ask.

4. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

With the large number of applicants that each school is looking at, they are pretty strict about such requirements. However, they might accept you before they realize you missed some required courses. Doctora Foxy had to make Biochem over the summer in order to get into her top choice, even though they had already accepted her by the time they figured out she hadn't taken biochem. But other schools may use their required courses as a way of paring down the applicant pool -- why bother consider someone who doesn't meet the schools requirements?

This isn't like dating, where a guy who normally likes blondes will see a brunette from time to time because he finds her attractive anyway. This is med school admissions -- they take their requirements pretty seriously.