libertyyne

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Is there anything published by week of submission/completion and II and subsequent acceptance? Is it too late to submit secondaries?

mcatjelly

Meow
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Is there anything published by week of submission/completion and II and subsequent acceptance? Is it too late to submit secondaries?
I only got interviews at the schools I was complete at by the second week of September. That seems to be a general rule of thumb as well.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
...is it? Early Sept is considered the end of normal timing for being marked complete, often people are waiting on letters until then. I don't think being a few weeks late is dooming, just disadvantageous (though some like LizzyM contest that there's even a noticeable effect here)

So OP, still worth submitting those secondaries.

Reactions: libertyyne

mcatjelly

Meow
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2013
Status
Medical Student
...is it? Early Sept is considered the end of normal timing for being marked complete, often people are waiting on letters until then. I don't think being a few weeks late is dooming, just disadvantageous (though some like LizzyM contest that there's even a noticeable effect here)

So OP, still worth submitting those secondaries.
Haha sorry, I phrased it super poorly! I meant that having them in by that time is a good rule of thumb, not that my experience was a rule of thumb.

Reactions: efle
May 23, 2016
UMich publishes its stats: https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/field/docs/5YearAdmSnapshot16_1.pdf

odds of interview
14% June/July complete
9% August complete
5.6% September complete

odds of admission offer
9% June/July complete
5.6% August complete
3% September complete
(all roughly half of interviews)

However, I'm sure the strongest candidates apply earliest so I'm not sure how much this says.

Mcatbot

2+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2016
Status
Medical Student
UMich publishes its stats: https://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/sites/medicine.umich.edu.medschool/files/field/docs/5YearAdmSnapshot16_1.pdf

odds of interview
14% June/July complete
9% August complete
5.6% September complete

odds of admission offer
9% June/July complete
5.6% August complete
3% September complete

However, I'm sure the strongest candidates apply earliest so I'm not sure how much this says.
Is UMich's schedule accelerated compared to most schools?

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

odds of interview
14% June/July complete
9% August complete
5.6% September complete

Bingo, the people on top of their stuff enough for straight As and Michigan-competitive MCATs will likely all be in early. You'd really need to see these rates controlled for stats to think anything of it

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
If you're aiming at MD schools, this is the last week I'd recommend sending out apps, unless you're sending to your state schools. The DO cycle is a lot longer.

OP
libertyyne

libertyyne

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you're aiming at MD schools, this is the last week I'd recommend sending out apps, unless you're sending to your state schools. The DO cycle is a lot longer.
Good to know. I am hoping to finish up by tomorrow.

odds of interview
14% June/July complete
9% August complete
5.6% September complete

odds of admission offer
9% June/July complete
5.6% August complete
3% September complete

This is interesting, your odds are halved. It would be nice to see it adjusted for lizzy M score.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Would seem to fit with LizzyM's view that the quality cutoff is stable throughout the season, and the early app advantage is really illusory and a side effect of stronger number applicants applying early. That is, a person likely to get an II in July is still likely to get one in September, it's just that fewer such people apply late, rather than interviews being handed out more carefully/selectively.

OP
libertyyne

libertyyne

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Would seem to fit with LizzyM's view that the quality cutoff is stable throughout the season, and the early app advantage is really illusory and a side effect of stronger number applicants applying early.
That is fascinating, I wish there was lizzyM adjusted data for this kind of stuff. I just assumed that ADCOMS go into the season looking like this with a fresh set of eyes and optimism.

Only to look like this after the first few waves of applications

Therefore having less patience for less than perfect apps and the superhuman ability to see through pre-med speak and ticks.

Meanwhile the LizzyM >75 early crowd is

Reactions: efle

Titus Andromedon

2+ Year Member
May 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
This is stressing me out. My last letter writer is really dragging his feet and hasn't submitted my letter yet. I feel like I am going to be too late to get in this cycle.