San Mateo

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
A sent my AMCAS out in late September and got all my secondaries done posthaste. I got rejected from nearly every school I applied to. Columbia, gave me an interview and Stanford and Harvard are apparently mute. Even local state medical schools shot off my wings. My GPA is a crock; 3.2ish biochem 3.4 overall, but I got a 39 on last april’s MCAT (I always bet the longshot). Anyone have a similar experience with getting rolled by rolling applications or is there a factor here I am not seeing? Any comments will be tremendously appreciated.

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
What other schools did u apply to San Mateo........did u have any "safer" schools?

Kazema

In a kingdom by the sea
15+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I was ignored by all of my state schools: Temple and Drexel are incommunicado, and Penn State put me on the pre-interview hold list really early on. A SUNY invited me for an interview but the PA state schools didn't.

I don't know what they're looking for, my only answer is that they saw my GPA and dropped me from consideration. Going into the process, I was hoping to end up in Pittsburgh or Philadelphia (i.e. stay in PA, do you hear that PA state schools???) but was willing to go anywhere if necessary. Now I'm just hoping to end up anywhere.

OP
S

San Mateo

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
Bigsheed920 said:
What other schools did u apply to San Mateo........did u have any "safer" schools?
Yes I am from New York so I applied to all the SUNY Schools. A applied to about fifteen sixteen schools in total using buckshot logic (One of them has to hit, right?).

Bigsheed920

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
NY
Status
WOw I must say I am suprised u didnt recieve an interview from a SUNY school with ur great MCAT score. Do u not have many EC acticities? There has got to be a reason. I would recommend contacting schools u been rejected at already and get clear reasons from them. This way you will know where u have to improve. ALL Da Best!!

LorinE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
San Mateo said:
Yes I am from New York so I applied to all the SUNY Schools. A applied to about fifteen sixteen schools in total using buckshot logic (One of them has to hit, right?).

I am sort of in the same sit. as you. From NY, rejected from almost every school. The only schools I haven't heard from yet are Sinai and NYMC. Are there any NY schools you haven't heard from or have you been insulted by them all already. I agree that your MCAT should have gotten you in to a SUNY.

OP
S

San Mateo

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
Status
NYMC asked for a transcript for my fall semester but no word from them. I expected to take a hit on the rolling ads but I am a little worried hearing nothing whatsoever from Harvard or Stanford. Not even a "thank you please hold" letter. Ubuff has me on a waitlist for an interview (bodes not well says I). Thanks to all for replying and I think I will give a call to those that rejected me and ask why, that is some sound advice. Do you think a letter might work better? I would not know who to call and maybe they could get the letter to the person who made the decision.
Thanks guys

LorinE said:
I am sort of in the same sit. as you. From NY, rejected from almost every school. The only schools I haven't heard from yet are Sinai and NYMC. Are there any NY schools you haven't heard from or have you been insulted by them all already. I agree that your MCAT should have gotten you in to a SUNY.

ms. a

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Do you have any clinical experience? Having no exposure to the world of real-life medicine can really hurt a person, no matter how good their numbers are.

LorinE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2005
Status
San Mateo said:
NYMC asked for a transcript for my fall semester but no word from them. I expected to take a hit on the rolling ads but I am a little worried hearing nothing whatsoever from Harvard or Stanford. Not even a "thank you please hold" letter. Ubuff has me on a waitlist for an interview (bodes not well says I). Thanks to all for replying and I think I will give a call to those that rejected me and ask why, that is some sound advice. Do you think a letter might work better? I would not know who to call and maybe they could get the letter to the person who made the decision.
Thanks guys
Got a transcript request from NYMC as well. You can check your status page to see if you've been invited for an interview I've heard...