admissions consultants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdgeTrimmer

Probationary Status
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
what percentage of applicants use paid consultants ( for college list or writing essays or interview prep)? I see more and more companies propping with current medical students and residents getting into this. How do ADCOMs view these?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd keep in mind there are more and more non-traditionals who are applying some years out of school, who may not have access to a premed adviser. Do your due diligence but the average premed probably won't need it. If you're 28 and trying to redirect its a bit different...

Reactions: 2 users
I'd keep in mind there are more and more non-traditionals who are applying some years out of school, who may not have access to a premed adviser. Do your due diligence but the average premed probably won't need it. If you're 28 and trying to redirect its a bit different...
On this note I will add, a savvy non-trad should still be able to figure out everything they need from the internet for free. I had to plan for 2 years to return to school, SDN lurking got me there. Then these last two years (no premed advisors at my school) the Internet has been more than sufficient as well.

I personally would say admissions advisors are unnecessary but can have their place. They really don’t bring anything new to the table, they simply consolidate the information available into one place.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I paid like $1400 for a package that included PS, AMCAS, some secondaries, and a mock interview. I think it was worth it. It is a drop in the hat in the grand scheme of things, and it has been helpful IMO. I wouldn't spend more than that though. I definitely don't think it's worth $3000+.

I found most stuff on SDN and reddit, but I was having a lot of trouble expressing my story. I agree that a standard premed doesn't need to pay for consulting. If you do decide to go with it then make sure and do your homework. I shopped around for a while.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I paid like $1400 for a package that included PS, AMCAS, some secondaries, and a mock interview. I think it was worth it. It is a drop in the hat in the grand scheme of things, and it has been helpful IMO. I wouldn't spend more than that though. I definitely don't think it's worth $3000+.

I found most stuff on SDN and reddit, but I was having a lot of trouble expressing my story. I agree that a standard premed doesn't need to pay for consulting. If you do decide to go with it then make sure and do your homework. I shopped around for a while.
See $1400 to have all of that in one place Isn’t THAT bad. It is certainly easier than my “post every other week for 6 months asking for more people to edit my application.” Granted, I got a very polished application from like 25-30 peer reviews of it and it was free...but I had to go out of my way to find help as opposed to just all in one convenient and expert location.

See $1400 to have all of that in one place Isn’t THAT bad. It is certainly easier than my “post every other week for 6 months asking for more people to edit my application.” Granted, I got a very polished application from like 25-30 peer reviews of it and it was free...but I had to go out of my way to find help as opposed to just all in one convenient and expert location.

And I definitely had other people look over my stuff for free. Definitely not 25-30 though :eek:

And I definitely had other people look over my stuff for free. Definitely not 25-30 though :eek:
I needed an efficient outlet for my pre-submission neurosis. Having a relatively successful early cycle has really calmed that down tremendously.

Reactions: 1 users