Admissions deferment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D.O.nysus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of osteopathic schools allowing accepted students to defer their admission for a year? If so, was it explanation-specific (e.g. To do research: yes To spend one more year on the pro-surf tour: no)
I am especially interested in info specific to PCOM, COMP, & NOVA. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the exact schools you cited below but NYCOM would not allow a deferment. I was contemplating attending medical school last year and they told me that if I was accepted, I would not be able to defer for a year.

I actually was accepted to COMP for the 2005 class, but shortly after receiving my acceptance letter and paying my initial deposit(s), I wrote a letter to the admissions committee requesting a deferment as I had the opportunity to manage a local non-profit and work on projects reaching underserved populations. My deferment was granted, and I will actually start at COMP this August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've got a friend who got accepted to AZCOM class of 2006, but after they found out his wife was having triplets so they let him defer. Understandably.

artois-- you stole the words right out of my mouth!! :) Yes, my wife and i are having triplets and azcom was really very nice about the whole thing. I imagine that if you go to them with a good reason ANY school would be understanding about it. If they aren't-- i'd seriously rethink about going there anyway!