SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Admissions deferment?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by D.O.nysus, Mar 18, 2002.

1. D.O.nysus

D.O.nysus Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Tejas
    Has anyone heard of osteopathic schools allowing accepted students to defer their admission for a year? If so, was it explanation-specific (e.g. To do research: yes To spend one more year on the pro-surf tour: no)
    I am especially interested in info specific to PCOM, COMP, & NOVA. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Gidget

Gidget Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2000
    I don't know about the exact schools you cited below but NYCOM would not allow a deferment. I was contemplating attending medical school last year and they told me that if I was accepted, I would not be able to defer for a year.

4. doctor jay

doctor jay Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2000
    Loma Linda, CA
    I actually was accepted to COMP for the 2005 class, but shortly after receiving my acceptance letter and paying my initial deposit(s), I wrote a letter to the admissions committee requesting a deferment as I had the opportunity to manage a local non-profit and work on projects reaching underserved populations. My deferment was granted, and I will actually start at COMP this August.

5. Artois

Artois Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Utah
    I've got a friend who got accepted to AZCOM class of 2006, but after they found out his wife was having triplets so they let him defer. Understandably.

6. jhug

jhug 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Valley o' the sun
    artois-- you stole the words right out of my mouth!! :) Yes, my wife and i are having triplets and azcom was really very nice about the whole thing. I imagine that if you go to them with a good reason ANY school would be understanding about it. If they aren't-- i'd seriously rethink about going there anyway!