1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Admissions for dds for foreign students

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by sadiq khan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. sadiq khan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Iam currently doing bs in biology( pre- dental) in texas. Iam here in us, on student f1 visa,. Do you think it is hard for me to be accepted in dental schools, as i would be out of state resident for all states??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i'm not sure, but i thought that you're not considered out of state, but as an international applicant, which i had assumed was different.

you don't have a green card or anything like that?

edit: i have friends applying to med schools, with an without a greencard, and the ones who don't have it said they have almost no chance, my understanding is that there are usually a seat or two reserved for international students, so it is extremely competitive (but i'm not sure, hopefully someone else can clear it up for you)

4. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
  5. tgutberg

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Plopper what you are saying is wrong. For the private schools, there is no distinction between American and international students. As an international student, I never felt disadvantaged. As for the state schools, you are usualy being treated as out of state but sometime being international could have a small disadvantage compared with the out of state kids. Anyway definitely not "extremely hard".

6. Maregbe1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Completely right. As a international student I applied to 11 private schools, had interviews at 8 of them, and got accepted to 3. Just make sure you stay competitive and you shouldn't have a problem. GOOD LUCK.

7. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The limited number of international students accepted in the US seems to suggest otherwise.

8. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    agree, it is not easy to get accepted to dental school for international students. It require lots of work and perfoming in DAT and undergraduate much higher than US residents. target the privet schools. In Texas you have better chance for San Antonio.( I personaly know the girl acceopted there two years ago) good luck :thumbup:

9. curious if anyone knows how many international students applied to US schools last year?

10. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    As a freshman or DS III as foreign trained dentist?

11. Danny289

Danny289 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    nope, as a freshman but she finished her undergraduate here(UTD) and suprisely with avrage DAT :confused:. but I remeber she was cofounder of kind of predental organization that used to go to elementary schools and talk about preventiive dental care for kids.

12. Plopper

Plopper "This too will pass"
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    then i apologize profusely if i falsely insinuated that international students have a harder time gaining acceptance to private/public American schools than do US citizens

interesting...

13. sadiq khan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Oh, thanks alot for so many answers, so i think i should only target to private schools, but the other question i had is, do u think all the pre requisite course work required should be completed from university? basically, i completed all my courses from university, but only physics i took it from community college, and got it transferred to my university transcript, does it matter?? and what is the minimum GPA and DAT score i should have for being acceoted at private schools

14. sadiq khan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    but the other question i had is, do u think all the pre requisite course work required should be completed from university? basically, i completed all my courses from university, but only physics i took it from community college, and got it transferred to my university transcript, does it matter?? and what is the minimum GPA and DAT score i should have for being acceoted at private schools

15. Californian

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    it doesn't matter if you take pre-req's at community college

16. bee3615

2+ Year Member

there's no doubt that as an international student it's especially harder to get into dental school, and as some people have said you have a better chance with private schools. that being said there are some public schools that still consider international students such as: UCONN and IU; btw MUSC doesn't really have any love for international students. basically try your best to have a kick ass gpa and DAT scores!

17. doc toothache

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=527335

18. pbrooks

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    im an international student and of the 14 schools i applied to for 2009 i have been offered 10 interviews. Just make sure that you apply everywhere, places that you think will give you an interview may completely ignore you, while you can be pleasantly surprised by the ones that do take an interest!
    if you check out my predents profile you can see my stats, i say nothing below a 20 on the DAT and as high of a GPA as you can manage, thats all :)

19. MJOHN

2+ Year Member

What school did you decide on? Are you going to Case?

20. pbrooks

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    looks like it!

21. sadiq khan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Iam planning to apply to all private schools, being an international student i should mainly foice on private schools i guess. What do you alll thinkg should be my minimum overall and minimun science gpa, and as well the DAT score to get in the private schools, being an international student on student visa. What are possibly the public schools which might accept international students??

22. sadiq khan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    So you mean if i take physics 1 and 2 from a community college, and rest all my courses are from university (4 year), so it wont matter?, I have all my classes from university, but im planning to take physics 1 and 2 from community college, so im still good right?? But i heard tufts does not accept any community college credit??

23. Dental 2009

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I applied 9 schools and got 9 interviews. So far, I got accepted to 4schools and three more interviews to go. I know that international students have to have higher scores on DAT and higher GPA than US residents. I don't think that is it hard for international students to be accepted in dental school as long as you try your best. Dental schools are looking for qualified students.

However, you need to figure out whether schools you will apply accept international students or not before you submit your applications. One of my friends applies 30schools rejected from a lot of schools beceause they do not accept international students.

Good luck

24. sadiq khan

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks, but can you please let me know about which all private schools do not accept classes from community. In my case I will have all my electives and pre requisites from a 4 year University, but only physics1 and 2 i intend to take it from community college. So does it hurt me much? because in my university the physics is conflicting with my senior biology classes, and the next nearest is community college... So is the tufts dental only schools which will not accept? and i shouldnt even apply there?because i dont have alot of classes from community, only 2 classes that is physics 1 and 2 and rest from university