Admissions Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gpannu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..looks like my medical school dream is over. Anyhow, my backup was denisrty if any of you could be so kind to reply please do. I am a canadian student I just wanted how competeivt is dental school in the united states. I have a 3.4 gpa.....looks like it;s gonna be competeive no.......anyways thanks.

Oh - Guniess the beer rocks...I think I like it better than caffreys. U guys in the sates are suffering the beer sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man,

I'm sorry to inform you, but you're gonna piss of some dental students with your post. I just thought I should warn you. I know your post was sincere and not meant to be harmful, therefore I'm not mad at ya. But, you shouldn't choose dentistry just because you can't get into a medical school. That's the worst thing you can do! If you want to be a MD or DO, work harder and go for it. Don't be a dentist unless you truely are interested in dentistry.

Cheers...sorry bro. Did'nt mean anythign by the post. If any are offende I apologize. However I'm just being realistic. Anyhow, I have some interest in oral surgery so it's not that i'm choosing dentisry as a last option...jsut an laternative....again sorry if anyone was offended.

Members don't see this ad :)
like I said...I'm not mad at cha!

Well I will tell you this much, you not only have to get into Dental school but have to do extremely well to go into oral surgery. It's pretty competitive. How do you know you can't get into medical school? Have you tryed? I'am not angry either, but I feel the same way Atlas does about the subject. I would be furious if someone using dental school as a back up plan got in and decided in wasn't for them, thus possibly taking a spot away from a student who really has their heart set on dentistry. Once again I'am not angry at you.

Gpannu,

Yeah, I know you didn't mean to piss people off here, but the last thing the field of dentistry needs is a pre-med reject going into it. I HIGHLY suggest that before you give up your dream of becoming a medical doctor, you KEEP TRYING. This means, take some post-bac classes, raise your gpa, retake the MCAT if you need to, go get a master's degree, go volunteer some more, go to Africa for the next year to feed the underpriveleged, go win the Nobel Prize--basically go do SOMETHING to increase your chances of getting into medical school. I am a firm believer that persistence is the key to achievement. However, if you are really that set on giving up your dream of medicine for good, I suggest you go volunteer in a dental office, talk to a lot of dentists, buy a book or two about dentistry and really THINK about if this is what you want to do for the rest of your life because if you are just going to be one of those bitter and pissed off pre-med reject dentists, then the only person that is going to suffer is guess who??--YES, the patient--not cool.

And regarding your interest in oral surgery, I suggust before you EVEN consider any dental specialty, evaluate what general dentistry is all about first.

Anyway, that is just my advice,
Racerdude

dental school can be just as hard to get in as med school depending on where you apply.
i don't think that you give up on a medical school but the fact is that some people just can't get in. if dentistry has always been your back up i say go for it. if you are sure that it will satisfy you and that you won't have any regrets all i can say is good luck.

hey... i am visitng a friend here in the east coast who is a dental school student. he told me today that 2 guys got kicked out of his class just a few weeks ago after their second year cause they could not hold their hands steady. kinda sucks, but tells me that getting in is not everything. if u got rejected from me school, go do a phd or something u like. dentistry is sience but also an art brother. know thyself. :cool:

so you thought with a 3.4 you were going to get into medical school in ontario???? or even dental school???

U of T dental school this year: 3.87
Western dental school: 3.83
U of T medical school: 3.85
MAC, western: around 3.8
Ottawa Medical school: 3.88

These averages are higher than 99% of US school. Even Harvards average for last years incomming class was 3.71 for dentistry and 3.83 for Medicine.

So, If I were you I would apply to many dental schools in the US mainly private ones. You will probably have luck getting an interview...

Well anyways good luck!!!!!!!

Pre- med drop out was funny. Look I'm just keeping my options open. If u have'tn noticed school cost money at some point you gotta be realistic. If u can't get in then using ur back up is'nt a terrible mistake. Thats why it's called an alternative. Denistry I don't know about how bad I want to do it. The main reason is because I have'nt had exposure. How in the hell do you guys know if I would't like other aspects of the job such as a standard 9-5 schedule. As you know medicine is'nt like that. IT's not only the material I'm considering but the lifestyle choice as well. Sorry to busrt your bubble guys and gals but I know plenty of potential pre-meds that could;nt get into medschool and deicded to go to denistry. Despite what you think the were'nt unfilled or had any regrets. For them it was a lack of exposure to the subject. As for steady hands.......thats a bunch of crock. Its practice....If they got kicked out i'm sure it's for other reasons......