Admissions office all year round!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spitting Camel

Anteater for Life!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who just recently realized that the admissions offices at medical schools work all year round? Just as one year winds down, the AMCAS apps for the next year start coming in!! We should give them their props... it must be a pain to deal with more and more anal breeds of premeds each year.

Here's to admissions offices around the country: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Brickhouse
Are you high?

hahahahahahahaha. no, but i thought about the same thing alreadyindebt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by bewitched1081
hahahahahahahaha. no, but i thought about the same thing alreadyindebt.

Pheww! At least I am not totally alone... *cricket cricket*

Then ask yourself this: how much can you really learn about a person in 30-60 minutes? Is it really enought to decide that this person or that person does or does not belong at school x? I'm sure you've had the experiance of seeing people with a face on. Law school doesn't do it. Grad school doesn't do it. If they got rid of the interview, it would be easier for them and for the candidates.

Originally posted by Mr Reddly
If they got rid of the interview, it would be easier for them and for the candidates.

And cheaper, but I still think it's important. That's why so many bad lawyers exist. There is no filter...

Originally posted by AlreadyInDebt
And cheaper, but I still think it's important. That's why so many bad lawyers exist. There is no filter...

Some schools use the interviews to make sure you are who you are on paper, but even so, an hour interview can be deceiving...that's just the nature of the process.

I'm just bitter. On paper, I can take the time to force myself to open up and show my strengths... but in an interview, I end up talking about my faults instead. It's just the way I am. It seems as thought people have always walked away with one impression when they first met me, but change their minds over time as they see me in action. I guess I've just never cared for those who can talk a good talk. I therefore, tend to go to the opposite extreme. After the interivews, I find myself wanting to yell "look at the paper! Look at what I wrote! Look at the LORs! That's me! Honest! I did do those things!" But by that time, it's too late. As such, I'm still here.

Wish I could sleep.

There was a person in San Diego who would work with you on your interviews... you know, do mock interviews, tape them, and then go over them with you. I almost did it. I know its a process, and that some people are better at it than others. I also understand that you should work on it if that is a bad area. It was just difficult to think I would be paying someone to help me put on a front... fake or not.

That's why so many bad lawyers exist. There is no filter...
I think there are good and bad in all professions. I've often talked with a French doctor about this process. And to her, it's alien. When she went to medical school, everybody was accepted. But after the first or second year (don't remember which), they took a test. Those that didn't pass were let go. An interview had nothing to do with it. As for lawyers, I doubt there are truly 'bad' (incompetent) lawyers from the top schools. However, my understanding is that it is very easy to get into lower tier law schools. Those, I understand, are almost ubiquitous. As for 'bad' (but exceptionally competent at what they do) lawyers... ya, sure. But doctors aren't perfect either. And I don't believe the interview is enough of a filter for that. I just don't.

Are there bad PhD's also, because some schools don't have interviews?

Come on, there are bad doctors just like bad everything else, as was already pointd out.

Adrian

The reason for the interview is simple. An average school recieves anywhere from 3,000 to 6,000 applications. Some of the applicants can be eliminated or accepted quite easily but the middle ground is so large because there are so many qualified candidates for about 150 spots. How else are they expected to make a decision about who to expect. Also with law or PhD you don't really need to interact with other people but as an MD that is necessary so the interview is to make sure that you are capable of that.

By Bad, I meant Mr. Reddly's second definition. I was thinking more along the lines of evil, but yes, evil is all over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's a kinda funny story about a person who worked in an admissions office at a medical school that shall remain nameless: I was visiting the school on a tour and had a few questions that I wanted to ask the admissions people once the tour was over. I walked up to the office and was shocked to her someone singing "Jingle Bells" at the top of their lungs (shocked because it happened to be July). Anyhoo, I walked into the office and asked the women a few simple questions about her school and, as a result, was verbally assulted for interrupting her busy work day. I've never had anyone at any med school be so rude to me as the Jingle Bells lady. Maybe there is more down time in the admissions office than you'd expect.

i don't think being in an admissions office is any more difficult than working in any other busy office. let's face facts here:
1. These people are getting paid to perform a job. If it was too terrible, they could find other jobs. they're not exactly illegal day-laborers who must take whatever crap job is thrown at them.
2. in some ways, it's an easier job since your office can't fail. i don't care how rude, slow, stupid, unattentive, cruel you are, you will fill a class each and every year. try running a real estate brokerage or something that way.
3. despite how you may treat your potential clients, they will always kiss your ass. how often have we profusely thanked an admissions office receptionist for providing absolutely no information of any kind?

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater

3. despite how you may treat your potential clients, they will always kiss your ass. how often have we profusely thanked an admissions office receptionist for providing absolutely no information of any kind?

Isn't that the truth. After I got assulted, I thanked the lady for her time.

Originally posted by TheRussian
Also with law or PhD you don't really need to interact with other people but as an MD that is necessary
Path, Rads, Gas, heck.. surg.

Originally posted by Mr. Rosewater

Soup-nazi from seinfeld ring a bell?

"... no acceptance for you... apply next year!" :wow: :eek:

Back to the original topic, aren't most offices open or busy year round?

I think the reason why lawyers are 'bad' is a consequence of their job description, not from a 30 min interview

Originally posted by johnnyMD
I think the reason why lawyers are 'bad' is a consequence of their job description, not from a 30 min interview

Did I say the interview makes peopel bad?

Originally posted by johnnyMD
I think the reason why lawyers are 'bad' is a consequence of their job description
:clap:
That's what I was thinking when I wrote
"As for 'bad' (but exceptionally competent at what they do) lawyers... ya, sure.":laugh: