Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Admissions per hour

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by (Pants)^2, Apr 15, 2007.

1. (Pants)^2

(Pants)^2 aka Square Pants

Resident [Any Field]
    How many admissions are people doing when they are on call? Last night from 10pm to 7am I did 11 admissions.

I have no idea how some people can do a full admission in like 30 minutes. It takes me that long just to figure out exactly what a demented 80 year old is on for meds and to review the PMHx. Then you have to see the patient, write the damn H&P, and do orders.

I can do a full admission in < 1 hour, but just barely.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mig26x

mig26x Senior Member

Attending Physician
    your program doesnt have a cap for intern, pgy-2?

4. carrigallen

carrigallen 16th centry dutch painter

I thought most programs have caps. You must be moonlighting? :scared: Also 11 admissions in 9 hours, that is more than one per hour.

5. (Pants)^2

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a PGY-2. Not moonlighting.

My program is great except for the fact that admissions come fast and furious. Especially at night when I am the only one in the hospital doing IM admissions.

Yeah, I did 1.22 admissions per hour, I figure. Hope they are still alive:scared:

6. tripleJ

tripleJ Member

Please, dude; I used to do 15+ admissions on an on call night- and run 2-3 codes. Call was q4 the whole year, regardless of service. I was so sleep deprived I thought I was going to have a siezure. The ER was brutal. If you were sitting there writing up an admission you would get hammered by the same/other ER docs- "oh, I have a patient for you...." It was to the point that even for an admission we would see the patient then LEAVE the ER to write it up. It seemed like if they could dump a patient (i.e. no insurance or unsure of who their primary doc was)- BAM! You got it with not even preliminary work up done or ANY labs. I think they could still bill for seeing that patient without doing any work. They would do that to the cardiologists too... which is why I escaped IM for greener pastures

7. (Pants)^2

Resident [Any Field]
    Exactly!

I mean literally, HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Those admissions I did were borderline acceptable at best.
    2 line Hx
    Rubber Stamp Physical
    Plan: see orders.

Now, try it with patients who have no idea that they just had cath 2 weeks ago. Nothing changes management like finding out some *forgotten* element in PMHx.

It is not safe:eek:

8. Ice-1

Ice-1 Senior Member

As R1 did 8 admits one night but ours is longer: 5pm to 7am. I don't know how you did 11 in a shorter time period even if you are an R2. I agree with you - definiately scary and not safe