admissions process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grasshopper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I'm one of the cluster that got the Yale e-mail inviting for interviews today. I was also in one of the Rochester e-mail clusters a while back, and I'm pretty sure the Pittsburgh, though it was snailmail, was sent to a whole bunch of us in the same batch. I've been told that generally interviews are not granted based on a committee type of process, since this would take way too long, but that individual faculty forming a looser sort of committee each have part of the applications, and they basically take them home and decide who gets an interview while munching on potato chips in front of the TV. Do you guys think this is accurate? Anyway, my point (not a very interesting one, but I've dragged you this far): if they send out a mass e-mail, do you think it's the case that we haven't actually gone through this personal screening but are just being asked based on numbers? I know there are some "insiders" out there, so maybe you'll have something to say.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm no insider but I have a friend who got the yale interview email today and has (albeit very slightly) lower numbers than me and I didn't get it. I have had an "app complete" status for a few more days than her, so i don't think yales is totally based on numbers.

also when I went to pitt they stressed that they read the whole app before giving these early interviews, but that's just what they said, so take it with a grain of salt.

in general I wouldn't be surprised if many of these are at least largely numbers based, but......... any insiders out there???

ok, then, it must not be entirely numbers at Yale. I went to Pittsburgh too and, come to think of it, it didn't seem from talking to other interviewees that it had been just numbers. I don't know, though, because didn't they issue those before they even had some people's secondaries? The info I had about the process being an iniial reading by one person was from a friend who does that at NYU, and I know they haven't started issuing invites yet, let alone whole batches of them, which would make sense if they were less numbers dependent. Another process question: I know at Baylor they told us that even after the interview they reconsider the entire app. (i.e. not just the interview scores). Do you think this holds generally?

I talked at length with the dean over at Pitt (well, the assistant dean)- a very nice lady who was quite open with me about the process. Those letters with the "pre-secondary interview invite" went out to ONLY 150 students, and everyone else there didn't get one of them - we just completed apps early. She did say those letters were based heavily on numbers, but they're gonna scrutinize your whole file, so it would be wrong to assume it will translate into an acceptance. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience at PITT and hope that come feb, they like me too! Like anything, numbers often factor heavily into this as there's very few other equivalent ways to compare candidates. hope this helps -- Trek