Admissions to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easteregg1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a tough undergrad due to several health problems, family problems and unforeseen circumstances. I never gave my medicine dream up, but now I have bigger problems of admissions in medical school.
I have exceptional MCAT scores, excellent extra circulars, fantastic recommendations, but a REALLY poor GPA. like my Science is 2.6 while my cumulative is even lower. I don't want to give up my medical school dream, but my advisor said I should just stop trying because his daughter with physical disability couldn't be a musician. Since she changed her career I should consider trying something else.
I don't want to do anything else. This is what I want to do.
What do i do? Any suggestions ANYONE?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake all C/D/Fs and apply DO. Also, continue to build ECs.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll add one thing to @WillburCobb's post. Find a new advisor. This:
my advisor said I should just stop trying because his daughter with physical disability couldn't be a musician. Since she changed her career I should consider trying something else.
is terrible advice. Your GPA is not an immutable physical characteristic.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add one thing to @WillburCobb's post. Find a new advisor. This:
is terrible advice. Your GPA is not an immutable physical characteristic.

This. My advisor told me I had a slim chance at even being offered an interview at DO schools with my GPA (and also because bio and chem majors would be looked at more favorably than psych majors) - I'll be starting at an MD school this fall. Pre-med advisor are surprisingly awful for the most part.

Reactions: 7 users
Will medical schools consider that I had a rough undergrad and let me in. Because I want to attend Medical School. Its my dream. I don't see a reason to give up other than " i don't like medicine". But I do.
1) Despite me taking all the classes I didn't do well on, will they let me in?
2)"I'll be starting at an MD school this fall" I bet your GPA wasn't as bad as mine.
3) I have graduated. Is it ok to retake those classes at local college? I want to apply this term, is it possible to start next year?

Will medical schools consider that I had a rough undergrad and let me in. Because I want to attend Medical School. Its my dream. I don't see a reason to give up other than " i don't like medicine". But I do.
2)"I'll be starting at an MD school this fall" I bet your GPA wasn't as bad as mine.
3) I have graduated. Is it ok to retake those classes at local college? I want to apply this term, is it possible to start next year?

Retake and go DO.

Reactions: 1 user
if I start taking those classes this summer, can i make it for next year?

are scores above 33 considered good? and above 35, exceptional? I can't find the place where people describe exceptional

1) Yes
2) Nm. My GPA was not as bad as yours and I did 50 units of post-bacc work.
3) Retaking all the courses at a community college isn't a great idea. Go to a nearby University if you can and enroll informally. You will most likely not be able to apply until next year at the EARLIEST, most likely 2 more cycles. You need to show a solid course of academic improvement. How would you be able to do that if you're applying this cycle?

1) Yes
2) Huh?
3) Retaking all the courses at a community college isn't a great idea. Go to a nearby University if you can and enroll informally. You will most likely not be able to apply until next year at the EARLIEST, most likely 2 more cycles. You need to show a solid course of academic improvement. How would you be able to do that if you're applying this cycle?

Well I didn't do bad on all my classes.
I exempted both Bios, took biochem (A), Orgo (need redo), did decent in physics, exempted english, took several other science classes that I did do well on.

My last semester of classes, I took 23 hours of classes. Made it. Graduated with most Bs, one C. But still made it.
Will that still not be enough?

Well I didn't do bad on all my classes.
I exempted both Bios, took biochem (A), Orgo (need redo), did decent in physics, exempted english, took several other science classes that I did do well on.

My last semester of classes, I took 23 hours of classes. Made it. Graduated with most Bs, one C. But still made it.
Will that still not be enough?

Most likely no. You need to have at least a 3.0 to get past most schools initial or secondary screens.

If you can get mostly A's in your retakes and additional courses, get your overall GPA to a 3.0, then you have a much better shot.

post bacc, if your MCAT is as high as you say you can handle the material. Re-taking classes will def help for DO, apply across the board you never know what will happen

Don't let some "advisor" tell you what you can or cannot do, you're in control; there are multiple avenues into medicine. If you really want it the question is not if you can get in, it is how. Between MD, DO, SMP, and worse comes to worse Carribean

It's just hard to believe when most people say its not. I did have one friend who got in Emory with MCAT 40 and GPA below 3.0 (2.7ish). Another girl my classmate knows, got in Harvard with some CRAZY low GPA. How is it possible?
But we can't run by exceptions each time, can we?

No admittedly it wasn't (3.45/3.35), definitely on the lower end for MD though. DO schools offer re-invention. With retakes and a recent strong upward trend, you'll show that you've failed, learned from it, and provide strong support of your actual academic abilities. The failure part, believe it or not, will play in your favor. You'll show that despite difficult situations, you can make it through them and come out stronger and know your own abilities when they arise.

So there is no chance this cycle nor for MD?

Maybe with an SMP, strong ECs, and a strong MCAT maybe. But SMPs are essentially a last ditch effort, you either make it or screw your chances.

Rather than affording SMP's, what if I did those classes again in my own way. Since most schools don't require all those classes be taken at application time, would they even consider the application?

Go here

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

and look up the chart with your race and see the number of people that previously applied and were accepted with your stats if you want an idea. People with my stats had roughly 50-65% chance of being admitted based on my grid. Not very reassuring so I made sure I had a really solid overall application. Do the same, take your time.

Why do you want to get into medical school as quickly as possible?