Quantcast

Admissions to PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDUB44

My Wiener (See Pic Below)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I have a question regarding admission to a PA program. My girlfriend is interested in goin to PA school. We dont really know much about it since we were both planning to go to medical school when she decided it just wasnt for her. So here is some info about her. She just graduated with a degree in Health Science Biology with an overall GPA of 3.79. And i think her science GPA is a 3.7 or so. She hasn't taken the GRE yet so dont know how she'll do, probably average. She has about a 18 months experience working in a nursing home as a CNA. She's been involved at college in various activities and her letters of recommendation should be really strong if those are even required? (i have no idea). So all that being said is it likely that she could gain admission to a PA program. We live in Tennessee and she would like to go to Bethel since its closest to UT med school where i will likely be. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JDUB44

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDUB44 said:
I have a question regarding admission to a PA program. My girlfriend is interested in goin to PA school. We dont really know much about it since we were both planning to go to medical school when she decided it just wasnt for her. So here is some info about her. She just graduated with a degree in Health Science Biology with an overall GPA of 3.79. And i think her science GPA is a 3.7 or so. She hasn't taken the GRE yet so dont know how she'll do, probably average. She has about a 18 months experience working in a nursing home as a CNA. She's been involved at college in various activities and her letters of recommendation should be really strong if those are even required? (i have no idea). So all that being said is it likely that she could gain admission to a PA program. We live in Tennessee and she would like to go to Bethel since its closest to UT med school where i will likely be. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

anyone wanna take a stab?

melcal

physician assistant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
if both of you don't really know what PA school is all about, i suggest shadowing some PAs vs. MD/DOs and learn about the differences. before you start applying to PA schools, you need to know what PAs are and what they do-you need to know if it's really for you, because you don't want to be taking someone else's potential seat in the class who really should be there.
so please shadow PAs and do your homework on the profession before applying. you don't want to be making a mistake halfway through PA school realizing you should've been in med school instead.
go to www.aapa.org for more info.

JDUB44

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
melcal said:
if both of you don't really know what PA school is all about, i suggest shadowing some PAs vs. MD/DOs and learn about the differences. before you start applying to PA schools, you need to know what PAs are and what they do-you need to know if it's really for you, because you don't want to be taking someone else's potential seat in the class who really should be there.
so please shadow PAs and do your homework on the profession before applying. you don't want to be making a mistake halfway through PA school realizing you should've been in med school instead.
go to www.aapa.org for more info.

Look, just answer the question. Its not hard to figure out that PA school is for people who A) Don't want to invest the time to become a doctor, and would still like to practice medicine. or B) Can't get into medical school. My girl is A, but who knows she might have been a B too. She has shadowed PA's and knows about the job, just doesn't know about the schooling. Sorry if there was confusion in my post, but dont come off actin so high and mighty, You were probably a B anyways in which case you will live a life of regret.

adamdowannabe

I like taffy
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDUB44 said:
Look, just answer the question. Its not hard to figure out that PA school is for people who A) Don't want to invest the time to become a doctor, and would still like to practice medicine. or B) Can't get into medical school. My girl is A, but who knows she might have been a B too. She has shadowed PA's and knows about the job, just doesn't know about the schooling. Sorry if there was confusion in my post, but dont come off actin so high and mighty, You were probably a B anyways in which case you will live a life of regret.

If you know so much about it, then why are you asking??

Often it's the case that people who can't get into medical school, can't get into PA school either.

It's very easy to fail out of PA school (I assume it's universal...I have 14 rotational exams, for 14 months of rotations, I get a 76 on one exam, I am on probation, I get a 76 (or less) on two exams, and I am asked to leave school.

As said above, if you don't WANT to be a PA, you should become an MD/DO or try something else, it's a tough role to be expected to practice medicine with about the same proficiency as an MD, and yet have your profession be repeatedly bashed by Physicians, and by Patients who had bad clinical outcomes and blame it on the fact that it was a PA that cared for them (when the same outcome would have occured with a physician)

If you have an ego complex, don't apply to PA school. If people love you, you have good repoire with people in a provider role (regardless of your title) and you are always open to scratch your head and ask yourself "why" when some disease process doesn't make sense to you, then become a PA....

IF you want to have all the pathophys and biochem you could ever want drilled into you, become a physician. It's true that PA's often just don't know how certain disease processes and meds work down to the enzymatic rxns, then again there are a lot of physicians who don't know that either, but if knowing that is a NEED....go to medical school, you might not get very much of the super nitty gritty in PA school.

I will say, that getting into PA school, is now a mix of your grades, your LOR's (yes, you need three LOR's) and how you rub the admissions comitee, there aren't very many PA's..... we are still a small club (I guess I can't say WE for another year) but, program directors and faculty want only to admit students who will represent the program and fill the PA "mission" outstandingly.

If adcoms read "just wanted to shortcut my way to practicing medicine....... " they won't want you at their program.

melcal

physician assistant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDUB44 said:

why are YOU asking anyways? can't your girlfriend do the research herself?
if she shadowed PAs already, she should've asked them how the PA programs are like. you did say in your orginal post that you don't know much about it, so i was helping you guys out by starting at the most logical 1st step - which is to shadow PAs and ask them questions.

i'm NOT coming off "actin so high and mighty." and don't assume anything about anyone you don't know. (when people A$$-ume things....)
at least i can do MY OWN research and education on a profession that i very much respect and enjoy. as i mentioned, go to www.aapa.org for more info, there you'll find information on the PA programs across the US and stats on applicants and current students

RAMPA

Pimpiro
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDUB44 said:

hey since u know everything, tell me whos gonna win the world cup, i gots big $$$ on england, so plz tell me that im right

Edivocke

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
JDUB44 said:

JDUB44,

Your girlfriend would likely be accepted in a PA program. I would recommend some shadowing on her part though just to "seal the deal" to let her know "am I right for this profession".

I would recommend applying to multiple PA schools though because your closest PA school may not give you guys a good financial package and/or reject your girlfriend (not likely less she has significant bad marks from the past).

I disagree with the other posters although I do agree that you were being a bit rude for this forum standards. Next time you want attention try a simple "bump" instead of saying "answer the damn question".

I disagree with them because they're attitude is "if you originally wanted to to go to med school, and you change your mind and instead want to go to PA school, you won't be cut out for PA school either." PA school is not easy but comparison to 8-10 years of med school, I'm sure its a tad less stressful on finances, mental health, and time.

I'm still a premed so my advice is simply advice from what I've picked up from other posters and all the information I've read over time.

If you'd like more information about the PA profession and/or help, check out this website

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/forum353/